We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

turtle hatchlings

Which Tambor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lifesabeachLindsay
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
turtle hatchlings

We are going to Tambor beach end of March and are really hoping to see some baby sea turtles hatch. or perhaps help them get safely to the ocean if that is done. Does anyone have any info on this? What beach might we find some at? We are avid turtle "guardians" and have rescued many from hazardous roadsides - some injured some still safe - and have been involved with the Turtle Rescue Centre in Central Ontario. Experiencing this in Costa Rica would be fabulous.

5 replies to this topic
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: turtle hatchlings

My wife and I will be in this area the first week of April. We are also interested in finding turtles on the beach and experience saving a turtle life. Very interested in any advice on where to go.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
437 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: turtle hatchlings

We have been going to Tambor for many years, and I am not aware of turtles nesting there. But I don't know for sure. You might want to contact the Romelia Sea Turtle Conservation program in Montezuma. They would probably know. As you enter Montezuma, you will make a left turn and drive past El Sano Banano and other businesses. You will be driving towards the water. Turn left, and the Conservation is straight down the road on the right. (The pavement ends and becomes dirt.) You can search the web for the RSTC program for more information, phone number, etc.

Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: turtle hatchlings

Hi there,

When we were in Montezuma two years ago they regularly let our kids help the baby turtles get started down the beach to the water. They also welcome volunteers at this program. There were once even two baby leatherbacks!

Alex

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: turtle hatchlings

The set up in Montezuma is neat, but sometimes the volunteers are pretty clueless. I've talked to some helpful ones but many have have acted like they've just gotten there (I've stopped by a lot too).

If they at least had some literature to point you to, that would be helpful.

But it's AMAZING when they have some hatchlings to shore you :)

Gary

Fort Smith, Arkansas
Level Contributor
4 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: turtle hatchlings

Thanks everyone for your input. It has been very helpful. We will visit Montezuma and see how it goes. Leaving tomorrow and we are really excited about our visit to Costa Rica.

Reply to: turtle hatchlings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted