We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent mid range hotel

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Decent mid range hotel

We are visiting Unatwatuna and looking for a decent hotel on the beach, no rocks. We have searched so many accom sites and are left confused. Most appear to be quite cheap but deceivng when you look further into them and also seem to come with only basic facilities. Reviews on TA are either way depending on the posters budget and expectations. What we want is clean, airconditioned, more or less a 3 or 4 star, a bit more than budget and are comfortable paying for it within reason. Are we wrong to write off hotels not located on the bay? Using map features we saw there are many good hotels located away from the bay but we want to stay at Unawatuna Beach. Is staying in say Talpe too far. Recommendations would be welcome. We would prefer ocean/beach direct access.

Edited: 12:42 am, December 17, 2012
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent mid range hotel

Hi,

Just check out the Coral Sands hotel which is quite a decent hotel in my own personal experiences.

http://www.coralsandshotel.com/

Hope this helps.

Rgds,

Treshi.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
57,410 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent mid range hotel

Well but that is Hikka, not U'tuna as asked.

If you want the combination of U'tuna beach AND a beachside hotel, there is very very little choice as the beach/bay is so extremely small. UBR and Neptune Bay (the latter 10 m from beach) are the only ones I can think of.

Directly east of the bay starts Talpe and that has far more choice of beach hotels; check on the map how far walking (or otherwise bus) they would be from the restaurant zone of U'tuna.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent mid range hotel

just check unawatuna beach resort. its nice resort

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decent mid range hotel

Try the Sri Gemunu Beach Resort. It is about 1km south of Unawatuna but it is very comfortable, well maintained, good food and on the beach. We stayed there at the end of October/beginning of November this year. For further details see my review of the hotel.

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent mid range hotel

Thanks everyone, we have made a booking at Kingfisher Hotel, it's small, only 4 rooms but is located perfectly for our needs. It seems nice enough, clean and quite modern and the acommodation and restaurant get rave reviews. Our other thought was Unawatuna Beach Resort but we were put off by the non sea views. We appreciate all your advice, without opening up this question we would never have put so much thought into were we stay. Does anyone have any feedback or comment regarding Kingfisher other than that posted on the accom forum? We do know it's not a hotel as such which we originally planned but were taken by the great comments on TA.

Edited: 12:08 am, December 19, 2012
6. Re: Decent mid range hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, January 03, 2013
Colombo
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent mid range hotel

I've peeked into their rooms and was very impressed! Jealous you got a room, as I tried the place and was told its full!

Queensland
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent mid range hotel

Well Kingfisher was definately the right choice. We absolutely loved our stay here and nothing in the area compares. The room was clean and modern, staff extremely helpful and friendly, food outstanding. I highly recommend this small hotel.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent mid range hotel

Did you find it noisy at night? I am travelling to Unawatuna with my family and we really need to be able to sleep at night!

10. Re: Decent mid range hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna