We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unawatuna - Party town ??

Cornwall
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Unawatuna - Party town ??

Hi Folks,

We are 2, young at heart oldies, who are hoping to go to Sri Lanks next winter.

Is Unawatuna a young persons party town ? with beach parties till 4'0 clock in the morning ?

Does it still have some charm ? or would Mirissa suit us better.

If anyone knows Cornwall UK - is it like Newquay or St. Ives ?

They are like chalk and cheese, if you know what I mean !

Any help kindly received, Many thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,199 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

Hi there,

Friday and Sat night it is the place to be for that, though Hikkaduwa even has more parties and more spread out over the week. Mirissa is much much smaller...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,519 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

As a Cornish lass who knows Newquay, St. Ives AND Unawatuna ...

Unawatuna is NOTHING like Newquay and more like St. Ives!! :D

Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

Give Unawatuna a miss and go to Mirissa. Much better and far less crowded

St Albans
Level Contributor
401 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

I visited both places a few weeks ago, and Mirissa was certainly our favourite. The beach is much better, and less crowded. I don't think either place is really a party town - certainly not like many resorts in the Med.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,199 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

Agree, but U'tuna has the huge parties in the weekend (Fri and Sat evening). So maybe you were there on different days.

But as written above, Hikka is the biggest party town of Lanka though even that is not really at Med Costa-level. And probably I'm not the only one wanting to keep that so... ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

St Albans
Level Contributor
401 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

We also deliberately stayed slightly off the beach in both places, just to make sure that we wouldn't be affected by any noise (NorLanka in Unawatuna and Secret Guest House in Mirissa). It's possible to be not far from the beach, but also have the feeling that you're staying in a quiet little village.

Edited: 4:03 am, August 20, 2012
Cornwall
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

Thanks so much everyone,especially Cornish susie, that helps a lot , puts it all into context. Annie

8. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, September 19, 2012
Unawatuna, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
27 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

RAVE parties every nite like, many sleepless tourists, avoid the beach front if you aren't turned on.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unawatuna - Party town ??

I would suggest further as Tangalle or Mirrisa. During our trip to Sri Lanka early this year. We went to to Tangalle, Mirrisa, Unwatuna, Hikkaduwa & Bentota. I really liked Mirrisa and Tangalle. Unwatuna is full of tourists and Hikkaduwa felt like hippy place. Though both places have amazing calm beaches. In Tangalle we saw many British tourists. In that sense I would say Tangalle is more like a Cornwall. We booked our holidays with Polanka Travel. I would definitely recommend them.

Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna