We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unawatuna & Yala

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Unawatuna & Yala

Hello,

We're off to Sri Lanka on the 23rd July and i've just got a few questions which i've not found fully answered by the many excellent answers to questions already posted in this forum.

-Appreciate that weather is always unpredictable, but given we're going to be in the country for the end of July/early August, do you think it's a bad idea to head to the southern beaches? A bit of rain is fine, but a complete washout would be a bit upsetting..

-Given I can't book it in advance, do you think i'll be alright to jump on the Colombo-Galle train (more or less) straight off the plane? Perfectly happy without AC etc, but am getting a bit too old to scramble for rammed trains!

-Is there any viable alternative to getting a taxi transfer from Unawatuna area to Yala? The safari there sounds ace and worth the trip, but i just wondered if a bus was an option - doesn't look like there's a train line any further than Matara at the moment.

Thanks in advance for all help!

Dan

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unawatuna & Yala

Late July/early August is usually bright and sunny mornings, some cloud build up during the afternoons and on some days late afternoon/evening showers.

From the airport you have to go to Colombo - either Maradana of Colombo Fort - to catch the train. That can about 1.5 hours. Majority of Galle bound trains originate from Maradana, so joining there will give you the best chance to get a seat. Turn up at the station about 20-30 minutes before departure will nearly always guarantee you a seat. You can see timetables here:

www.gic.gov.lk/gic/index.php…

You can catch a # 32 Kataragama bus to Tissamaharama from Unawatuna or Galle.

Hans

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unawatuna & Yala

Thanks Hans, excellent stuff.

What's the best way to get down to Maradana - train, bus or taxi?

Roughly how long does the #32 bus take to go across to Tissa?

Thanks so much

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unawatuna & Yala

There are no trains direct from the airport. Nearest railway station is Katunayake - a couple km from the airport.

Bus is first free shuttle bus to Katunayake bus stand and then bus # 187 to Colombo Fort - unfortunately not Maradana.

A taxi will cost approx. LKR 2,500.

Bus # 32 from Unawatuna to Tissamaharama will take 4.5-5 hours.

Hans

4. Re: Unawatuna & Yala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, July 12, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna