We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

unawatuna, mirrisa or hikkaduwa?

Level Contributor
206 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
unawatuna, mirrisa or hikkaduwa?

Hi all

Would appreciate any advice from you experts (!) on area to stay in:

Really liking the look of mirissa as we are looking for a chilled out resort, but not sure if there would be anything to do at night? Not that we want much, but would be nice to have a choice of restaurants and a few bars....

During the day we'd like to be close to a surf beach (beninner-ish level), and also sea for a calm swim.

We've also considered unawatuna but am i right in believing that a lot of the beach has been eroded here and there's not too much beautiful beach left?

Also, I know that Unawatuna & Hikkaduwa are more commercial than Mirissa, but wondering if they have lost their charm or can chilled out spots still be found?

Advice greatly appreciated, many thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,196 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: unawatuna, mirrisa or hikkaduwa?

Hi Angie,

Mirissa has about half the number of restaurants/bars of U'tuna, but that's still a considerable number! And indeed a better beach.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,565 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: unawatuna, mirrisa or hikkaduwa?

Out of the three, I like Hikkaduwa the best, as great choice of resturants & bars, & the beach heading south is so long, you can get away from the crowds.

Personally, I tried all three & think all are worth a visit. Will be visiing all three again in May

Level Contributor
206 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: unawatuna, mirrisa or hikkaduwa?

ok, thanks to you both for the advice.

I'm struggling to find accommodation for the last week of March in Mirissa - any recommendations for a double room / cabana near the beach (with hot water if possible) for up to £50 per night?

best wishes,

4. Re: unawatuna, mirrisa or hikkaduwa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna