We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atm machines

Kuwait
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Atm machines

I'm off to UBR on 23 Feb and would like to know if there are any ATMs close by or do I need to go into Galle? Found a posting for Nov 2010 that said the closest ones were in Galle.

Thanks for your help

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,785 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Atm machines

No, because you wrote

"Then you either had a limit on your card "

and a general setting by a Dutch bank covering Sampath bank ATM withdrawals in Lanka is not a limit but what it is: a general setting. Limits are per account holder and generally spoken irrespective of the means of withdrawal (ATM, counter, etc.). Which you describe correctly in your next section, with "(if that is within your limit)".

Sorry for your nitpicking, but people working at a bank sometimes DO know things better ;-)

Regards,

<Erik>

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Atm machines

No it depends on your own bank's general settings too

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was that not what I just wrote?

The limit on my MasterCard (credit) is approx. LKR 220,000/day, while the limit on my VISA card (debit) is approx. LKR 44,000/day.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,785 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Atm machines

And because the original post could not be edited anymore:

Still disagree. Our debit cards have a worldwide (ATM and counter) limit of around LKR 125,000. But it's overruled by our bank's general policy that for Lankan counter withdrawals the ceiling is LKR 100,000 and for Sampath ATM withdrawals it's 40,000/day. Nothing to do with (personal) limits...

Tnx,

<Erik>

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Atm machines

Yes, you may work for a Dutch bank. I worked for a Danish bank, so I'm fully into what applies to cards issued in Denmark.

The 'cheating' by going to another bank's ATM does also not work with Danish cards as ALL card transactions are centralized.

Hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Atm machines

Generally spoken - for the card holder is does not matter whether it's a 'general setting' or a 'personal limit'.

Pointing fingers at me for what you call 'nitpicking' (when you don't agree with me) goes both ways.

Hans

16. Re: Atm machines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 pm, May 31, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna