We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

Larnaca
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

We need help for our trip in February. Leaving from Kandy we planned to go by bus to Deniyaya near Sinharaja Rainforest reserve,stay two nights there and then continue to Unawatuna for the rest of the holidays.

Now I am not so sure anymore if the bus is a suitable way to go. We are not experienced going on our own in Sri Lanka (we are NOT inexperienced travellers either) , maybe it would be better to rent a car with a driver? Anyone knows how much that would be?

In Deniyaya we planned to book Sinharaja Rainforest Lodge, in Unawatuna maybe Joe´s Bungalow. Anyone who knows these places?

Thanks so much, help appreciated...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,688 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

Hi there,

Sue had a recent thread on good and not so good guesthouses in Denaniya. So please search for that to find the optimum there.

Bus Kandy to there - well QUITE a long trip, probably taking more than a normal day because you'd need 2 transfers (Colombo and Galle) at least plus an infrequent schedule for the Galle-Denaniya leg. Car with driver seems safer for this part. Also suppose you limit your luggage to the minimum (midsize backpack), otherwise bus transfers won't work at all....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

Hi,

There are direct buses from Colombo to Deniyaya - bus # 60, so by bus it will be bus #1 from Kandy to Colombo (Pettah) and then bus # 60 to Deniyaya.

Distance fro Kandy to Deniyaya is about 220 km, so a car with driver will cost around LKR 13,000.

Hans

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

Hi there

Here's the post about accommodation that Erik mentions:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293961-i8983-k3…

I agree with Erik on this one, and although I tend to use buses for most of my time in Sri Lanka, I opt out occasionally when I want to get somewhere which is more remote easily and quickly and use a driver instead. Sinharaja is certainly one of those places and I would want to stop for a night en route from Kandy somewhere too. You have the option of travelling through the hill country if you want to and approach Sinharaja from that route instead which would mean you saw something of the marvellous tea plantations and mountain scenery aswell. Why not go from Kandy to Haputale on the train for instance, stay over and arrange a transfer to Sinharaja from there for the next night? That would save some of the cost. We stayed at Sri Lak View guesthouse at Haputale on one occasion and I know they are able to arrange a driver for you if required.

www.srilakviewholidayinn.com/facilities.html

I would probably hold on to the driver whilst you stayed overnight at Sinharaja and get him to take you to the south coast after your visit to the rainforest.

All the best

Sue

Edited: 12:22 pm, June 22, 2010
Larnaca
Level Contributor
15 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

Thanks everybody I think that makes it clear and a driver it will be. The routing - now I am still thinking about it. Someone suggested to go to Ella and from there to Sinharaja . Is that a good idea ? We have only 3 days (max 4) before we have to be in Unawatuna, and we dont want it to be too exhausting...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,688 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

Well the Ella route _is_ the most beautiful but would cost you an extra day basically. Direct, which would be Kandy-Hatton-Avissawella/Ratnapura, is quicker... About 5 hours, upto you whether to leave very early from Kandy and still have half a day Sinharaja or still do it next day...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

IMO Kandy-Kegalle-Avissawella is more direct than Kandy-Hatton-Avissawella, and also faster taking road conditions into consideration.

Hans

7. Re: How to get from Kandy via Sinharaja to Unawatuna?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, December 21, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna