We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changing money for sri lanka

Which Unawatuna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Egham, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
changing money for sri lanka

We are off to Unawatuna in the summer and are having trouble changing our pounds into local cash before we go.I have been told by 2 places in the UK that I cannot change monies before I go,but wait until I go and change my sterling in Sri Lanka.Is this true? and if so where do people recommend I do it....are there places in the airport ....and if so are they open at 2am when my flight arrives......amny thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changing money for sri lanka

Hi,

The Sri Lankan Rupee is a closed currency, so not legally available outside Sri Lanka.

The are 5-6 bank counters at the airport. You can't miss them as you exit customs area. All give the same rates (bank rate). The counters are open 24 hours a day, 365/6 days a year.

Banks are available in all towns in Sri Lanka. From Unawatuna you need to go to Galle.

Hans

Egham, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changing money for sri lanka

Brilliant many thanks

3. Re: changing money for sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna