We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unawatuna Or Mirissa

Preston
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Unawatuna Or Mirissa

Can't make my mind up which to stay in. Like a few restaurants to choose from in the evening ?

Preston
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

We would be going in the winter, probably February. We normally go to Goa, but fancy a change.

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

hi woodsy,february is a good month.i personally wouldnt book anything,or if you do ,just for a few days.there is always loads of availability of accomodation,and by not booking you have the freedom to move about.went to mirissa last year ,we were ok for a few days ,but it was too quiet for us and we like it quiet.so we went to narigama end of hikkaduwa were we where much happier,it was still fairly quiet ,no discos ,just a bit more of a scene and a far wider choice of restaurants,which we like.we also go to goa regularly and stay in the quetish benaulim beach in south goa.in my opinion narigama beach looks a bit like a south goa beach[but the sea is usually a bit rougher]

Preston
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

Thankyou, I will look into those choices. We like both South Goa & Candolim, lots of bars/restaurants and not into discos's or anything like that. So these place sound ideal.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

hi,

I like Hikkaduwa and have stayed many times

on the reef sheltered beach as well as at Narigama.

I like both areas but the beach at Narigama isn't so good.It's a long, wide clean beach but not so good for swimming.

It shelves away very steeply and even in peak season the sea is usually too rough for the casual swimmer.. Great for surfing but not swimming.

Inside the reef the beach is clean and wide, about 3/.4 to 1 mile long . Very gentle slope into the water and you,ve got the coral reef with all the fish,etc

Plenty of small bars and restaurants around that area as well, including the Skandia which I reckon serves the best food, at the best prices, in Hikkaduwa

Rod

Znojmo, Czech...
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

hi rod,you say the beach at narigama is not so good,iv been there 10 times or more and you are right that its not so good for actual swimming [like most beaches in sri lanka ,due to the fairly rough sea and dangerous undertows,but i think its a really good beach and whilst i am a fairly weak swimmer i spend a lot of time in the sea there [just in front of ritas restaurant]and enjoy it though i dont go out of my depth .sometimes the sea is not rough .

a lot of fun can be had hiring a body board and even close to shore you can be propelled beach bound.yes you need to be a bit carefull but the sea was just as rough in mirissa ,when i was there as hikkaduwa.just thought i would mention woodsy that there is a far greater chance of rain in srilanka than goa,but at least none of that visa hassle.

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

Hi,

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

I didn't mean to infer that the beach isn't good at Narigama.

I've stayed out at Narigama myself quite a few times and really like the area. Plus, the beach is long, wide and clean. Palm fringed and all that you could want. Except, most parts of the Narigama Beach do self quite steeply into the sea and although it has flat calm times, there's also a good chance that the sea will be too rough for swimming.

I agree that the main beach at Mirissa is the same, open to the sea and even in high season can still be rough. But,at Mirissa, if you walk to the eastern end of the beach , just past where the strip of rock runs out to Parrot Island, there's a small section of beach there which is partially reef sheltered . I've been swimming in that area at most times of the year and even when the sea is crashing onto the main section of the beach, this smaller part is safe for swimming.

So, I wasn't knocking Narigama and the beach, just trying to point out the differences.

Rod

17. Re: Unawatuna Or Mirissa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:22 am, November 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Unawatuna