We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

Lebanon
Level Contributor
186 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

we are planning to visit Zanzibar - staying at Karafuu hotel.

hearing all sorts of dress codes, just wants some clarification.

Understand that at the beach normal swimsuit / shorts is fine.

How about for going into the town / walking around - can a woman wear shorts (how short) ? what about dresses just above the knees ??

Doing Zanzibar after a safari so it is a relaxing part of our trip.

Would highly appreciate suggestions on what to wear as in my country anything goes and would not want to offend anyone.

Tks

5 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

On the beach, beach wear.

In town, loose and below the knee, cover shoulders and if you can, elbows. No short pants on men.Take some loose covering, or buy a Kanga to cover head and shoulders if in doubt. It is a predominately Muslim area, so women are covered.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

You're not going to offend anyone. This has been a tourist destination for a long time, and they've seen it all, as have I there. Be comfortable, there are no dress codes. Most women there dress modestly, so if you do the same you will be fine. No one will say anything to you, if they did I would be very surprised. This is not Saudi Arabia where they have dress police.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,275 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

So there we go, more conflicting info. However, mine were the words of a single woman traveller who prefers to blend in and err on the side of conservative. KG knows of what he speaks, so take his knowledge over mine.

Los Altos Hills, CA
Level Contributor
822 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

We saw people wearing all sorts of things including women in short shorts and tank tops, skimpy sundresses showing lots of cleavage, men in shorts, etc. Personally, I would feel a bit uncomfortable in things like that as you would definitely get some stares. Keep in mind it's extremely hot/humid. I wore a very light cotton dress that had 3/4 sleeves and just above the knee. Everything else I had was too hot. Bring a lightweight scarf so you can cover up for modesty and sun protection.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe

Granted people do wear everything as I've seen worldwide, whether in Cairo where if not in proper attire they gave you ugly green robes to cover up; similar when at Istanbul; in Bangkok, at their temples... likewise, visitors given coverups and here it was way too hot to be wearing another layer which if one dressed properly from the get go wouldn't have had to.

So keep in mind what is appropriate and use your good judgement... on the beach, NO topless; when touring or in Stone Town, should be light weight loose fitting, w/ covered shoulders and arms to elbow, and legs at least to the knee is preferred. Besides, being on the Equator the sun is brutal and you'll burn quickly. Remember, you're still a guest in another country.

Reply to: Dress code for Zanzibar - pingwe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pingwe