We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!!

Prenton, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!!

Hi All,

We had a fantastic 2 weeks at Iberostar Ensenachos this year, and fell in love with the Ensenachos beach, not only for its good looks but also the peace and quiet found there too.

We are now looking to go to Cuba again next year but need advice on the beaches, having been spoilt with Ensenachos.

We have been looking at the other Cayo's and the Melia Cayo Guillermo looks like it might be an option, but not really sure.

If anyone can offer advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Cats

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help!!

MCG used to be our annual digs until we tried Ensenachos. ... you can't beat that beach. The resort, food and staff are all good at the MCG and the beach as well but the sea grass is starting to creep in. Best end is closer to the Sol which is on the west side as it is much further out. When we first visited in 2004 there was hardly any...but over the years it has been growing well. It is also a 5 min ride to Playa Pilar which is gorgeous. Lots of UKers have been frequenting the MCG for years....and our best MCG UK buddy (Waggerlad) we met there..the most kindest gent who has been there like 30 times. If it is windy, there is no problem to go in the water as it slopes down gradually so the waves don't get too big. However there is the chance you may get taken out by the kite surfers who have basically taken the area over unless something has changed since we were there last. This was the reason we looked elsewhere as when we were there I saw too many near misses with these yahoos. There were plenty that has no regard for swimmers, children on the beach and even people on the pier. A couple of them tried "the James Bond" maneuver of kiting up to the pier then stopping by jumping on it or doing the same on the beach where children were playing! But back to the resort, it has been refurbished and it's the best in the area IMO. It's relatively quiet area due to only 4 resorts on the Cayo. And as I mentioned food was good and staff as well which we certainly miss as we don't go there anymore.

uk
Level Contributor
952 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help!!

I have been to Playa Pesquero and I didn't think the beach was anywhere near as nice as the Cayo's

Cayo Guillermo is heave, very much like Ensenachos. I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help!!

We visited the Melia Cayo Guillermo for a week last February and were very pleased with our stay. If you think the Ensenachos beaches are peaceful and good looking you should see Pilar Beach. OMG!! It's only a 5 minute taxi ride from your resort and holy cow, it's absolutely drop-dead gorgeous. It's rated by some as 1 of the top-ten beaches in the whole Caribbean and by most as the best beach in Cuba. If you ever get to see it you'll see why. Out of this world!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
1,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Help!!

I agree with Caribbean Dreaming, Pilar is amazing BUT....it's a drag that you need a taxi to get to it. Would be so much better if you just walked out your hotel room door.

Would be amazing if they built a resort there nut from what the locals tell me, it will never happen.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Help!!

I hope they never do build a hotel at Pilar, it would totally spoil the area. A taxi or bus to take you there is no hardship.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help!!

We've been to Cayo Guillermo and the beach is not great at all. We stayed at Iberostar Daiquiri and there is simply no beach to speak of during high tide. Yes I agree that Playa Pilar is great but can't go there everyday to enjoy a beach while you have one in front of your hotel. I have not yet been to Ensenachos, but did Varadero and Hoguin, great beach in Varadero and decent one in Holguin.

Vaudreuil-Dorion...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Ensenachos
Level Contributor
2,889 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Help!!

In reference to the MCG...We always hung around the far west side of the beach. .. the one on the Sol side as you had beach even at high tide. This is the best beach area. The east side towards the IB doesn't exist at high tide. As well there is less sea grass on the Sol side. Although it has been creeping in more and more over the years......

Edited: 10:51 am, November 02, 2013
18. Re: Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 04, 2014