We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Live music/must sees near Gaucin

Which Gaucin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Live music/must sees near Gaucin

Hi all,

We are due to arrive in Gaucin this Saturday for a week long holiday. We have never visited the region before and I am looking for some tips on what the "must-see" places are (we have a car) within 1-2 hours drive. We wold also love to catch some Flamenco guitar/traditional music if anyone has any tips where we could get this. Any other tips (where to eat/picnic etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Live music/must sees near Gaucin

Hi Susie, I holiday in Olvera twice a year and although I have not stopped in Gaucín I know it to be very nice. I am usually driving south west to La Duquesa to visit my friend when I pass by.

If you come out of Gaucín and head north east (towards Ronda) you will find that there are lots of pueblos blancos around about which are worthy of a visit. This road is a mountain route and spectacularly beautiful, there are quite a number of 'miradors' where you can pull off the road and admire the views. Olvera is probably just over an hours drive, take a look at www.visitolvera.com this is a website written by an American friend who owns a small property there. Ronda is very much worth a visit too. If you have a fetish for leather handbags I would recommend a visit to Ubrique. Grazalema is another beautiful pueblo, in fact the area is full of them.

If you have not visited Gibraltar before this is also doable. I would advise parking at La Linea on the Spanish side of the border and walking across, make sure you wear comfy shoes and carry your Passport, it will be required. Also some Euro change for the parking meter. If you plan on buying anything in Gib, whether it is a meal or perfume/aftershave, etc I would advise lifting some money from an ATM in Gibraltar some have Sterling and some Gibraltar pounds (I am not sure which banks carry what), do not opt to pay for anything in Euros as the shops use an exchange rate which can only be said to benefit themselves. Make sure not to lift too much if it is Gibraltar pounds as they are no good to you anywhere else.

Can I suggest that you treat yourself to a good map of Andalucía. I carry one in addition to my SatNav because good as my SatNav is it cannot organise trips in the way you would if you were looking at a map. I bought mine online from Stanfords in London, www.stanfords.co.uk I was very impressed by their service, I ordered it one day and it was there two days later so if you got on with it tonight you would hopefully have it to hand to put in your luggage on Friday night. Failing that buy one at the airport.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday. It is 33 sleeps until my next trip.

Saludos. Lindsay

Edited: 2:28 pm, September 11, 2012
Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Live music/must sees near Gaucin

Thank you very much for your reply Lindsay - some really great information in there! We will definitely buy a map - my partner has a fetish for those whilst I definitely have a fetish for bags so I will check out Ubrique for sure!

Thanks for taking the time to give me all this fab information!

Susan

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Live music/must sees near Gaucin

You are most welcome Susan. In Ubrique this summer my 22 year old daughter bought herself a beautiful purple leather handbag where the flap has embossed daisies on it. It cost her €62 and she was well pleased, it would have cost considerably more in either Glasgow or Edinburgh. I have been told that many of the designer handbags you see in very expensive shops are made in Ubrique such as the late Alexander McQueen. One of the shops we visited had the gorgeous neon coloured leather satchels which are just starting to appear in the shops here, there was also purses, wallets and jackets although we didn't pay much attention to those.

It would be nice if you posted a follow-up message after your holiday to let us know what you thought of the area and where all you visited.

Bye for now. Lindsay

Bathgate, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Live music/must sees near Gaucin

Sounds great Lindsay. I will be sure to try visit Ubrique. I will definitely post after our holiday to let you know what we thought.

Thanks again.

Susan

5. Re: Live music/must sees near Gaucin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, February 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Gaucin