We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Pool in Gaucin?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Public Pool in Gaucin?

Hi All,

I'm considering spending a month and maybe more in Gaucin this spring/summer. I've heard there is a public pool available for use. When does the pool open for swimming? Is it a 25m pool suitable for doing serious laps?

Thanks in advance, Bill

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,876 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

I have been to Gaucin a few times but never the 'piscina' so looked for some information and I found a comment made in 2010 saying that the public pool had reopened after repairs and pictures show it looking nice. Also saying that it normally opens in June for the general public presume after schools finish for the summer holidays which is what I would expect .

…blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/la-piscina-municipal…

also on another page the measurements are shown and it appears the pool is 25 m.

http://www.twimbio.com/centro/centro_id=76781

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Bill, I realise that this does not answer your question, but what draws you to Gaucín? I ask because although it is undeniably pretty, it is not to everybody´s taste. A month or longer is a long time to spend somewhere that is not agreeable.

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!!

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Hi Tony,

I would appreciate your insight into Gaucin. Specifically, what do you think might be distasteful to me in your undeniably pretty village?

Thanks! Bill

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Can I ask you the question I asked in #2. What draws you to Gaucín?

Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Tony: I'm curious, too. We plan to spend a week in the country just outside Gaucin next spring and also wonder what one would find so distasteful about that village.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Because of this thread I've just spent a very enjoyable hour or so on google reading all about Gaucin. The town looks & sounds absolutely charming.

Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

@wendyandscott. I will just point out that I said "although it is undeniably pretty, it is not to everybody´s taste." I did not say that it is "distasteful". That was the word used by Memoinmaz in #4.

It all depends on what you are expecting. I live quite close to Gaucín and I know of no other village in this area that attracts so much controversy. Some people love it to bits whilst some loathe it.

So, what are you expecting to find there? It could be that it is just what you are looking for, or it might be the antithesis of what you are seeking.

I will try to answer as neutrally as possible.

N.B. Posted at the same time as Malagogo posted.

Edited: 11:51 am, April 28, 2012
Montejaque, Spain
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

I have just read Malagogo´s post more carefully. I think that is a fair and accurate description of Gaucín.

Edited: 12:00 pm, April 28, 2012
Jefferson City...
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Pool in Gaucin?

Tony: Didn't mean to misquote you and I appreciate the explanations.

We are well aware that Gaucin has a high expat population and also understand (and agree) how that could prompt a negative reaction. We plan to stay in a country casita a few minutes outside Gaucin, spending most of our time bird watching and hiking in the countryside, day tripping to other towns, and just relaxing on the patio. We don't plan to spend much time in Gaucin at all, apart from the occasional tapa, cafe, or wine trip or to stock up on supplies.

But now this talk has me somewhat concerned: Is the town so expat-centric that it lacks basic Spanish charm? Are there still fresh bread, good wine, and Spanish cuisine to be had? Is the place noisy and obnoxious?

Get answers to your questions about Gaucin
Recent Conversations