We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Southampton, England
Level Contributor
121 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire

Hi

We are visiting alvor in August for the 3rd time, we usually hire a car through Avis and have always been really happy with them. However this year is the first time we've been in the summer holidays and the prices are crazy!

So, can anyone recommend another car hire company with cars of the same quality as Avis please (I've read too many horror stories of cars with bald tyres and rubbish brakes etc)

Thank you

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire

Hi,

If you create an account with economy car hire you can then see both prices and car hire company, we have used Lagorent for the last few years and never had any problem. They come with a transponder so saves any hassle with the toll road. Cars are fairly new. The guy operates out of the back of a transit van which saves time waiting in the queue at the rental kiosk.

We got a great price of £93 for a group 2 car for October.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire

This year I am sure economycarhire show all the companies they use without creating an account as you had to previously. Lago rent, , travelrent and drive 4fun are all ok.

Ps creating an account just meant using them once and gaining points, the next time you used them you could log in and pick the supplier.

rotherham
Level Contributor
185 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire

We have just booked with economy car hire and paid £220 for 10 days in the july holidays was a good price.

london
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire

We have used Travelrent.pt for several years through brokers and more recently direct . We have booked a car for 5 weeks in July / August for £550 which compared with others is great value . Never had any problems and a sensible fuel policy i.e bring it back the same as you collected it .

Scotland
Level Contributor
270 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire

We are arriving on 25th June for two weeks and collecting a car at airport. My husband has booked with doyoucarhire.com. I don't know anything about this company but the price was good. It came in at 219 Euros for the 14 days. Has anyone heard of them?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire

Never heard of them. Sounds very low cost for two weeks in June/July. Do they have a full to empty fuel policy? Many car hire companies with very low headline costs make their money by charging exorbitant prices for a full tank of petrol. Other possible issues include very expensive CDW insurance that customers are pressured into taking and laser like ability to spot minor scratches and charge large amounts for repairs.

I'm not saying that the company you're using falls into this category, just that I would be wary of such a low cost and I would examine the car very carefully for any scratches before driving it away.

Scotland
Level Contributor
270 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire

It's Airauto with collection at airport. The car has a full tank and we return it with a full tank. We have only paid a deposit so not too worried at the moment.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire

That's good. If there are no hidden extras, that's a very good price. Let us know how you get on.

Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire

Cam, as said earlier just check car over and take photos of any dents etc, make sure you go over the car with the rep and agree any minor scratches etc. have a look at the tyres also. Make sure everything visible is noted on the slip they give you. May be an idea to search on here for reviews on airauto.

Scotland
Level Contributor
270 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire

Good advice. We'll check the car carefully when we collect. Have looked at reviews and they are mixed. My husband picked this company because of the petrol. He's fed up paying for petrol he doesn't use.

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations