We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

exchange rates

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
exchange rates

can anyone tell me the current exchange rate in alvor? is it better to take euros or change pounds when you are there?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: exchange rates

You'll get a better rate of exchange in the UK

Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: exchange rates

Personally, rather than taking large amounts of cash in either euros or sterling, we take a small amount of euros to start with then use the cash machines, obviously for a small charge.

I find the exchange rate as good as if not better than that we get in the UK actually.

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: exchange rates

I have never found the rate overseas to be as good in Portugal. Usually one or two cents less. I do not take large amount of of cash however. I use a prepaid card through Caxton - very good rates and no charges for withdrawals.

http://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/

Edited: 4:07 pm, May 12, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: exchange rates

If you're exchanging cash you'll get a better rate at home. The cost of withdrawing cash from ATM's depends on what charges and loadings are applied by your card provider. Otherwise most card providers use the VIsa Exchange Rate.

As far as I know the rate on prepaid cards such as Caxton is set when you load up the card. Maybe KeithBhoys could confirm this.

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: exchange rates

Yes you are correct MoreCheese. The rate changes every day and today it is just under €1.16 to the £. The card has the Visa symbol on it so can be used in shops and restaurants as well.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: exchange rates

Cheers KeithBhoys. So time it right when you load up the card and you could bag yourself a decent rate?

Inverurie, United...
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: exchange rates

Yes MoreCheese. I normally keep an eye on the website daily for a couple of weeks and then load the card when I think it's a good rate.

8. Re: exchange rates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations