We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any updates on A22 toll situation?

Dundalk,Ireland
Level Contributor
139 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any updates on A22 toll situation?

Going in 2 weeks so would like to know whats the latest update on paying the tolls on A22.I emailed car rental company (travelrent.pt) but got no reply.Has anyone used this company recently and how did they sort out the tolls?Thanks

england
Level Contributor
213 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

I suggest you look at your own post before you start using the word pathetic SUNNDAYS.

I've provided an update from a previous post of mine from 6 months ago and you accuse me of trolling. Unbelievable.

With regards to not returning to Portugal, I'm sure that there will be many other holidaymakers who will also take the same decision not to because of the shambolic situation and the hassle involved.

I'm sure that if we had adopted the same system here in the UK, and tourists had to avoid the motorways and use crowded A and B roads, then many would have second thoughts about returning.

It is my opinion that I'm entitled to without the word pathetic being used.

You're clearly an opinionated poster who in the past has given negative reviews on this site about various establishments.

They are your views that you are entitled to, but that does not mean that others have to agree with them.

Just because you do not agree with my views you call them pathetic.

The words hypocrite, kettle, pot and black are relevant here.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
42. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

I have just returned from Algarve, hired through Drive4fun, and that is exactly how it works. The transponder is fitted on the windscreen and the car gets detected when it goes past a "scut" . If you don't use the A22 you get a full refund. If you use it, even if is for an amount much less than €15 you don't get a refund. I did not ask what happens if you use more the initial credit of €15. I guess the hire company will charge your credit card with that extra amount? The amount paid is made up of €5 for the transponder and €15 credit.

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

Different companies have different policies. Sounds like your choice was on the ball.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

@Joe M

It is clearly explained on the website of Drive4Fun how it works if you need more credit for the transponder. You just have to phone them and they recharge the transponder with a minimum of 10 euros.

It is also clearly stated that they will not refund the 15 euros if you agree to have the transponder in your car. It is not mandatory!

All in all, were you satisfied with this company? Are their cars new, or at least recent? We are still in doubt between Drive4Fun and Luzcar for our June holidays. Both their prices sound too good to be true, especially since excess is included. Or am I missing something? Small print maybe?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

I've been using Drive4Fun for a few years now and I've never run into any "small print" issues.

Their solution to the A22 problem is reasonable, but not ideal. You have the choice of paying €30 not to use a transponder and this €30 is refunded in full if you don't go through any tolls. If you happen to use even one toll, you lose the entire €30.

Alternatively, you can hire a transponder. You must pay at least €20, which gives you €15 credit and you can top up this amount in multiples of €10, either before you leave the airport or by phoning them if you find that you have used the A22 more than you anticipated. Any unused credit is not refunded.

While I would prefer a system where I just got charged for exactly what tolls I incurred and did not have to pay an extra €5 over and above the tolls, I think the solution they have come up with is reasonable enough and the few extra euro is not enough to put me off using a company that I have found very fair and pleasant to deal with, very good value and very honest with no sneaky tricks up their sleeves.

Antwerpen, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,804 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

That's good to hear, Paul. I think we'll go with Drive4Fun.

The 5 euros above the tolls is not exaggerated, IMO. When you pay the tolls at a payshop or post office (which is what we did last year), you also have to pay a certain administration fee. Maybe not 5 euro in total but with your own transponder you don't have to search for a post office/payshop, wait in line, etc.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

If you think of all the money spent on silly stuff while on holiday 20 euro is not

really an issue is it?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

If you think of all the money spent on silly stuff while on holiday 20 euro is not

really an issue is it?

galashiels
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

Have just returned from the Algarve. Our car hire company wanted us to register (€20) and also to pay the return toll charges. We declined, deciding instead to use the N125. Unfortunately we found it now impossible to find and landed on the A22. Because of some electronic chip in our hire car, it didn't show up on the website and even on going in to the newsagent, we couldn't pay the charge. We tried again to pay when we were returning our hire car, but they were having none of it. Told us that since we hadnt signed up with them a the start of our holiday, we would just have to wait till we heard from the authorities. Like a previous poster says, will we be arrested next time we land in Faro?

Mentioned in this post
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Any updates on A22 toll situation?

If that's their attitude, I'd just forget about it. Not sure I'd use them again for car hire if that's their approach to customer service.

Get answers to your questions about Alvor
Recent Conversations