We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Trondheim, Norway
11 posts
Save Topic
Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

Hi all,

I recently moved to Trondheim. That means I live there. I would like to go on a 4 full day trekking and camping trip (8th-13th August) to some place nice which is with in 4-5 hours of Trondheim. I will be going with two others who are around 28 years old. We are energetic bunch but do not have any steep mountain climbing experience. We will use public transportation. One of my friend was suggesting Geiranger.

1) What place do you recommend for us to visit?

I got in touch with the tourist information center in Geiranger and they told me, I quote "Our area is quite extreme and mountainous, for this reason I would recommend basing yourself in Geiranger, and doing day trips instead of 4 full days." I also read in this forums that Geiranger is sort of filled with lots of tourists and sort of over rated. We would like to go somewhere where it is not so touristy (ironically ;)). It should have a fjord and beautiful landscape and if possible offer us 4 full day trekking and camping experience.

2) Do you have any suggestions for us in this regard?

Thank you very much for your time.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

Gerianger is not the best place I think. From Trondheim it is better to go to mountain areas like Sylane or Rondane to find good places to hike. There is also good hiking to be found in communities not so far from Trondheim, like Tydal and Meråker

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

Tafjordfjella, suggested in your other post, is a very nice area, but difficult to get to with public transport. Here is one suggestion:

Day 1: Take train from Trondheim to Bjorli, arr. 1245. Pre-book a taxi, tel. 61 24 35 00, to drive you to Stuguflåten and the mountain road up Ulvådalen towards Ulvådalsvatnet. Hike to Vakkerstøylen.

Days 2-5: Hike through Tafjordfjella to Geiranger, f.ex. Vakkerstøylen-Pyttbua-Reindalssætra-Kaldhusseter-Geiranger. All these hikes are relatively easy, no climbing skills are required.

Day 6: Return with the bus Geiranger-Langvatn 0940-1025, Nordfjordekspressen to Otta and train to Trondheim.

Remember to get good paper maps and follow the Norwegian mountain code: english.turistforeningen.no/article.php…

http://ut.no/omrade/4.1293/

Trondheim, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

iverh@ I did not understand your Day 1 suggestion clearly. So I get down at Bjorli and take a taxi from Bjorli until Ulvådalsvatnet?

I mean it is not clear from where to where I should take a taxi and from where I should start trekking. Could you please elaborate on your answer.

Best regards

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

You must order a taxi to pick you up at Bjorli station. Ask the driver to drive you up Ulvådalen, the road takes off E136 near the closed Stuguflåten station. Drive as far as possible towards Ulvådalsvatnet. I do not know the condition of the road, it is also possible it may be closed at some point.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

The place where the road ends is called Brøste, 5,2km from Stuguflåten: http://goo.gl/maps/UMwF1

Trondheim, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

That is very helpful iverh. I need a couple more details.

1) Could you please give me a slighly detailed route (easiest route) plan from Kaldhusseter - Geiranger. I guess this is the toughest part of the trip. I am not sure though. Satelite images from ut.no confirms this.

2) Do we have access to drinkable water during that trip? Do we have to carry it? What does other trekkers do?

3) In the context of hiking and trekking what does "airy" mean. I have read that word several times in the forums. But does not know what it means.

Best regards

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

1) From Kaldhusseter hike up Storkaldhusdalen until you get to Slettdalsvatnet. There is a trail junction, you turn right and will have a slow climb up Slettdalen towards the lowest point of the ridge between Hole-egga end Vesteråshornet, 1462 masl. From there, down to Kaldhusbakkvatnet and further down Kaldhusbakkane into Vesteråsdalen.

2) Yes, you can safely drink the water from brooks and rivers along the trail.

3) "Airy" is used to describe trails on vertical or very steep mountainsides.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

'Airy' means there will be a lot of air around you, rather than solid ground. For example going across a steep slope, or it could be on a level path but close to a cliff edge. In other words, if you fall down, you will probably fall a long way.

Trondheim, Norway
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

Thankyou very much for the clarification iverh and Norsc.

I know that along the way some of the huts are fully serviced. Some others are self-serviced/un-serviced. In that case does one require a key to open those huts? Or they are unlocked all the time?

Edited: 1:19 pm, August 04, 2014
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip suggestion - Live in Norway

Self-service or un-serviced cabins are normally locked and must be opened with a standard DNT key, the same for all DNT cabins. However, in first half of August there will likely be people at all of them. It is still a good idea to pay a visit to Trondhjems Turistforening, Sandgaten 30: www.tt.no/index.php?fo_id=218 You can buy or borrow a DNT-key, buy maps and sign up for membership which will give you discount at the cabins.

Among the places I suggested Vakkerstøylen, Pyttbua and Kaldhusseter are self-service cabins, Reindalsseter is a staffed lodge.

Get answers to your questions about Geiranger