We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

As part of my Norway trip next summer, I am considering driving from Aalesund to Geiranger. I am wondering if it's worth it to 1) take a longer drive from Aalesund to Andalsnes and take Trollstigen Road to Valldal and take a ferry to Geiranger or 2) take a shorter drive from Aalesund to Hellesylt and take ferry to Geiranger. Would the first option be more scenic and worthwhile? Thanks.

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

1) Yes, drive via Åndalsnes is very scenic. So is the Valldal-Geiranger but you can also take the short ferry Eidsdal-Linge, then do the Geiranger-Hellesylt on return trip.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Great. Thanks for an idea.

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

I am planning alesund to geirenger and next day staying geirenger,3 rd day geirenger to songdal

I need car I ternary advise to cover all scenes points,please help

Yatin

Oslo
Level Contributor
15,008 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Use http://www.visitnorway.com/ to get the big picture and suggestions on this map

http://www.visitnorway.com/us/VN/Map/

The main road will generally bring you to many scenic points. With some exceptions: Between Ålesund and Geiranger I would recommend including Åndalsnes/Trollstigen if not covered already. The Geiranger-Hellesylt ferry is also recommended, can be done on the trip from Geiranger to Ålesund or from Geiranger towards Sogndal. From Geiranger to Sogndal the two basic options are Lom-Skjolden (excellent in clear weather) or Stryn-Skei. Detours to glaciers possible at several points.

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Thanks osloviking,so bet alesund to geirenger,I take alesund to andalsnes and then troll road and then to hellysylt and then ferry.how much time int takes self driving

What to on free day in geirenger,or take geirenger andalsnes road on this day

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,572 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Try an online travel planner please - google maps or via michelin.

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Thanks klima,I can use planner,but I need advise to do alesund- andalsnes- troll road -hellysylt- ferry geirenger is doable in a day or too hectic

Which route to take for halo,sogndal from geirenger not using ferry

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
28,572 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Only you can tell how much is too much for you. For me it would be doable.

ahmedabad
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

Ok thanks,I would ask you to opine about approximate hours,yes I know I only can know my self

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling from Aalesund to Geiranger

We are hoping to be able to see the beauty of the Norwegian fjords on our upcoming trips. We are coming to Alesund on Sept 25 on a cruise ship and will only be there from 8 AM to 5PM. Is there any tour or any way to get to there?

Our only other port in Norwy is Bergen the day before from 8AM to 7PM. We are going to start in Oslo and take the ferry to Copenhagen before our trip begins.

Get answers to your questions about Geiranger