We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Herdal Mountain Farm?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
France
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Herdal Mountain Farm?

Our cruise offers a visit to the summer mountain farm, which, since I am interested in farming, sounds pretty interesting to me. Has anyone visited the farm and could you comment on it?

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

Herdalsetra is not really a farm, but a summer farm (seter in Norwegian) where the livestock is taken for grazing on the mountain pastures for a few months in summer. You may read about it here: www.herdalssetra.no/engsider/engstart.html

and there's a review here: …hollandamerica.com/9041/…reviews.htm

I haven't been, but I'm sure it would be an interesting excursion.

Oslo
Level Contributor
17,090 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

It's a 50 km drive from Geiranger, passed the tranquil Norddal (Dalsbygda) village.

www.photosight.org/up/2010/02/02/112136.jpg

touristphoto.no/images/…herdalsseter1.jpg

Herdalen gives a good impression of the summer farming tradition as one of the few places still active, 50 or 100 years ago there were thousands of places like Herdal.

This is a list of some "seters" around Norway

http://www.seterkultur.no/?page_id=109

C D
Naples, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

I was there in June, and it is heaven on Earth. Tranquility and beauty for miles. The goats and sheep graze in meadows laced with gurgling mountain streams. Nearby mountains shed their snow into gorgeous waterfalls, whose rushing waters are easy to hear. We were allowed to freely roam the property, which is dotted with tiny, grass-roofed, charming buildings and cottages.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

Beautiful, was there last week. Hot weather perfect views and it is really tranquil. Little cottages to look in and cheese to taste. The brown cheese was delish!! Such wonderful surroundings and scenery.

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

Always wanted to visit such a place...how do we get there, via a cruise excursion,tour?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,565 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

Hi Sparbil,

and welcome to the forum.

As a new poster I can understand that you don't know how to use the forum. You are now posting in a thread that is nearly one year old and you can not expect the original posters to keep an eye on this. Nor will it have any special attention from regular contributors.

Start a new post on your own in the Geiranger forum to get the right attention, and use the "Ask a question" tab on top of the forum.

7. Re: Herdal Mountain Farm?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 30, 2014