We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

We are a group of 3 travelling Norway in June 2012. I have limited time in Norway (abt a week) and would like to cover Bergen, the fjords (with Alesund as base), Molde and of course Oslo.

I read about Trondheim and it sounds like a nice place but with my time constraint was wondering if it is a 'must see' not to be missed out of my itinerary.

Please advise. Thanks, mlbk888

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

If you only have a week in Norway you are already trying to cover too much land without including Trondheim. I'm also questioning why you would like to go to Molde?

Oslo, Sognefjord and Bergen is more than enough for a weeks visit.

Likewise would Oslo, Geirangerfjord and Ålesund (maybe with a detour to Molde) be enough a weeks visit.

If you really want to include Oslo, Geirangerfjord, Ålesund, Bergen and the Sognefjord during 1 week, please take a look at the "Geiranger & Norway in a nushell" tour on Fjord Tours webpage. www.fjordtours.com

Revert back to us if you are planning on renting a car (it would still be a race against the time with a rental car to see and explore all the places you mention in your original plan!).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

Dear Pippi2

Tku very much for responding to my query. I may increase my number of days in Norway to 12 days. Renting a car and driving is not an option for us. We'll be relying mainly on ferries, buses and trains.

This being the case, I have just 2 questions for which I would be grateful for your advice -

(a) Do you recommend going to Molde? I've read about how beautiful it is being surrounded by snowcapped mountains and being the town of roses etc. This was what spurred me to visit.

(b) Is it worthwhile including Trondheim on the itinerary?

Thank you and kind regards,

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,740 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

By public transport Pippi's suggestion for Geiranger and Norway in a Nutshell will suit your needs

norwaynutshell.com/en/…

Getting around the fjords of Norway using public transport takes time. Molde is nice, but not worth a detour imo. Oslo, Bergen, Ålesund and the fjord areas will be plenty within your short time frame. Trondheim would be too far and too much. It is a pleasant city, but the landscape here is flat, not wild like in the western fjord areas.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

I agree with the others.

You are trying to put in too much in a too short timeframe. I can understand - coming the distance and aim to see as much as possible -, but would you prefer to be constantly on the move and just tick boxes for having been there, or do you want to get some flavour and experience from where you are visiting ?

Within your timeframe you should consider that your days of arrival and departure will be lost, and that any transfer between major cities will take the best part of one day away from you (besides the actual travel time you must count on checking out and in at hotels, transfer to where you will have the actual transport and - if flying - necessary time for security checks etc.) - although parts of the travel will cover some of your wanted sights and experiences.

I also agree with Pippi and Klimaflyktning in that "Geiranger & Norway in a nutshell" will cover most of what you are looking for.

Edited: 3:42 am, December 20, 2011
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
178 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

Tks for all the invaluable advice... i shall re-look my plan and not be too ambitious.

6. Re: Is Trondheim Worth A Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, December 21, 2012