We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gerianger or Hellesylt?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Gerianger or Hellesylt?

Hello

need some expert advice on our tour to Geiranger. We plan to fly into Alesund and reach Hellesylt in late afternoon, 27th Aug.

We either make Hellesylt as a base to tour the neighbouring area or Geiranger ( for which we will have to take a ferry , further 1 hour journey)

I will be relying solely on public transport (which I understand is not very frequent) and we will be there for 2 full days and then leave for Alesund on 2nd eve (20:00 bus on 29th Aug).

I definetly want to cruise in Geirangerfjord and do couple of day excusions- like storesterfossen or Dalsnibba.

1. which is better base ( considering connectivity/proximity) - Hellesylt or Geiranger

2. can we use public transport to go to any of these ( or any other attractions)

3. if we are staying in Geiranger then, is ferry from Hellesylt to Geiranger any different from the scenic ferry which lasts 1.5 hrs?

appreciate any guidance on this

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Geiranger
Geiranger
Stranda, Norway
Alesund
Alesund
More og Romsdal, Norway
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gerianger or Hellesylt?

Q1: Geiranger is better situated for visiting the well-known attractions Dalsnibba, Flydalsjuvet, Ørnevegen and Trollstigen.

Q2: There is unfortunately no public transport to any of these places in late August, the bus between Åndalsnes and Grotli via Trollstigen, Valldal and Geiranger stops running August 17th. Geiranger Taxi offers private tours with fixed prices, check http://www.geirangertaxi.no/

Q3: The ferry runs from Hellesylt to Geiranger. There is also a sightseeing cruise, round trip from Geiranger, going close to the waterfalls and other points of interest. (visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/…) IMO not necessary to do both.

Mentioned in this post
Geiranger
Geiranger
Stranda, Norway
Flydalsjuvet
Flydalsjuvet
156 Reviews
Geiranger, Norway
Oslo
Level Contributor
15,936 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gerianger or Hellesylt?

Agree with Iverh. I think you should consider renting a car in Ålesund airport, drive to Geiranger (via ferry from Hellesylt) for sightseeing. If you have a car you stay ovenrnight anywhere that fits your schedule (Hellesylt, Geiranger, Stryn, Øye, Eidsdal, Valldal, Åndalsnes).

Mentioned in this post
Geiranger
Geiranger
Stranda, Norway
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gerianger or Hellesylt?

Thank you both, after doing some research , I have decided to give Geiranger a pass this time. Will perhaps do it next time with more time at hand. I have now changed the plan to Bergen. Will do 1 day Hardangerfjord and 2nd Norway in Nutshell. Looking for some 1 day hiking ideas expect the hills around the Bergen City. Are there some nice scenic attractions that can be accessed by bus and where we can spend like 6 odd hours?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Geiranger
Geiranger
Stranda, Norway
Bergen
Bergen
Hordaland, Norway
Norway
Norway
Europe
4. Re: Gerianger or Hellesylt?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, October 07, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Geiranger