We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geiranger cruise

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Topic
Geiranger cruise

We plan to do Geiranger cruise, based on this information:

geirangerfjord.no/geirangerfjord-sightseeing…

So, two options there, 90 minutes with "Fjordsightseeing" or 60 minutes with "Signa Tour Cruise".

We might choose the 90 minutes.

Question, from that website, it is said Departs from: behind the Geiranger Tourist information/ticket office, 20 m from the cruise ship quay.

And I looked Google Maps, simply search "Geiranger Tourist Information": https://goo.gl/maps/SMprABenEAU2

So, that's exactly the location of the departure, right?

Also, where can we park our car? :)

Thanks

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,756 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Geiranger cruise

Geiranger is a tiny village - you would have to work hard to miss anything at all. TO is near the docks.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Geiranger cruise

Ok, any car parking recommended?

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Geiranger cruise

Look around with StreetView?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,756 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Geiranger cruise

I believe there is random parking around the dock area. Some years since I visited last, but it looked a bit disorganized and we opted to get out of there as soon as we could.

Where are you heading - perhaps there are better options.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Geiranger cruise

Alright, I checked using Street View and indeed there are couple of options on the street to park our car.

However, I found in the tour operator website, this information:

"... There is free parking along the main road in Geiranger, at the ferry terminal and at the supermarket. There aren’t many places, so in the middle of summer you may want to park your car a little outside the centre. ..."

We will come first week of August, which is in the middle of summer time. And I can imagine it might get crowded especially if we aim to take the 14:30 cruise time.

So, not sure where that "outside center" would be, as I saw there were only limited spots in Geiranger village itself. There are big open spaces, but I think that belongs to the "Geiranger Camping" site, which I could imagine they are not for public car park.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,756 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Geiranger cruise

As I said, if you are just passing through Geiranger on your way elsewhere, there may be other options. If you are spending the night in the area, you could park at your accomodation.

And if you could reveal your exact date, there is the possibility to check the cruise calling list as this will tell a bit on how busy the day will be.

Many cruise passengers equals quite a few tour coaches in and out on narrow, winding roads.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Geiranger cruise

Unfortunately, we are not going to stay in Geiranger area. We plan this cruise on the day we go from Hjelle to Allesund. So, just a stop over in Geiranger, do the cruise, and then drive another 2,5 hours to Allesund.

I have contacted Geiranger Fjord, the tour service, but got no response yet.

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,756 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Geiranger cruise

That is exactly the info we need to give you suggestions - fragments will often lead to less inspired options.

You can take the Geiranger-Hellesylt ferry on your way to Ålesund, car and all. The ferry sails along the entire fjord. Booking needed. Then you drive from Hellesylt to Ålesund.

https:/…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Geiranger cruise

Thanks klimaflyktning, I didn't know this cruise operator. It looks nice, although it's only 60 minutes compared to the other one 90 minutes (back to Gieranger). Not sure if that makes any difference in terms what we could see the Fjord, and I could imagine this one will use bigger ship to accomodate the cars, so it might sail in the middle. While smaller ship might sail closer to the scenary :)

I also found the booking page is not clear. It says to book for 2 adults with a car, choose "1 adult" and "1 car" option. But, there is no "1 car" option! Only "car package + up to 4 adult", or "car 6 m". Which I have no idea what does it mean. Well, this is not a big deal, I can ask them via email.

Edited: 5:50 am, June 22, 2017
Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
32,756 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Geiranger cruise

You will sail along the length of the fjord and you will see the scenery. A smaller boat would possibly go a little closer to the waterfall, but in the fjords sides are so steep that you need to be more or less in the middle to see either side. Even Hurtigruten is quite close up to the waterfalls, but you do not need to be splashed with water to enjoy the sight.

On a ferry with a car the prices are for car and driver - additional passengers at passenger cost.