We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

Which Ostuni hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
yarmouthport ma
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

My husband and I are panning a trip to puglia in the beginning of April. Do you recommend we pick a hotel and stay there for a week travelling around every day and returning to the same hotel or should we stay in a few hotels in the region?

Thanks

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

a suggestion.

if staying for so long why would you stay in a hotel.

There are very good small apartments ...give space to breath.....that you can still do all your dining out....

yarmouthport ma
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

thanks for your reply

if we were to stay in an apartment for 5 days,could we travel around puglia and see alberobella,ostuni,oltranto,gallipoli,etc from one location or would we be in the car too much?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

I have stayed in one place for a week ....Monopoli....and been to the places you mentioned. it is a lot more driving than say umbria or tuscany but well worth it.

the driving is OK as the traffic is a lot lighter than in the North.

possibly a nicer smaller place is Polignano a Mare right next door as we spent every morning there for coffee etc..

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
201 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

Hi Janet, I agree and would definitely recommend an old-town apartment - self catering for lovely breakfasts on the roof terrace and somewhere central and with a few restaurants for the evenings ... nothing better than calling a place your home when on holiday and I dnever find a hotel feels like home. There's lots of apartments which are great value on Home Away or even on Trip Advisor.

The roads are good in Italy - certainly the main roads anwyay (signage can be interesting so take a good map or satnav). You should base yourself somewhere central and do day trips IMO. Chose a town with plenty of character and restaurants, but one inland so it's easy to explore both coasts (they're diverse and both worh seeing - the sunsets on the Ionian side can be wonderful but I prefer the Adriatic for a dip!).

Also, avoid big cities because this just makes parking and navigation more difficult. Lecce is BEAUTIFUL (and a must see) but parking can be tricky and it's not easy to navigate. I only know the southern area (Salento) and would recommend Galatina, Nardo, etc. It's a treck to Alberobello but possible within a day (less than 2 hours each way and there are lovely places to stop en-route .... I don't think Alberobello is worth a FULL day anyway, pretty and interesting but too touristy). Both are within a very easy drive of Gallipoli, Otranto and some really lovely seaside spots!

I found this link recently which may be of interest: fodors.com/community/europe/inexpensive-comf…

Anyway, if I can be of further help, please just shout. Have fun planning!

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

certainly agree ET that Alberobello is only worth an hour or so.....ended up enjoying a meal here tho.

Reminded me of a Disney creation.....a pity as no doubt in its day it was very quirky.

Edited: 8:22 pm, November 03, 2013
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

We are in Europe for 90 days and have done both the hop around and stay thing. Currently in a Trulli in Martina Franca for 2 weeks after 10 days in Orvieto at a B and B and a few days in Paestum during the torrential rains. Hopefully I can give you some night as to what we have learned so far. Your question is good and thoughtful. My answer relies on having learned how EVERYTHING shuts down from 12/1pm to 4/5 pm. So getting an early start and then figuring what to do in the afternoon-unless you want to do an Antipasti de Mare of 16 courses, drink a bottle of wine and then sleep until 5 is your thing. Staying in a Trulli is fun but I think I would have done a Masseria and had the "olive " experience. Forget MF there is nothing here to see, t is a small city with way too many cars ( as my wife says the Italians are as laid back as you can get until you put them behind the wheel). Central point would be either Ostuni or Polignano de Mare which both have some decent roads hereby. I would look to do Alberobello and Locorotondo in the morning, they are closer than you think, then go to the Caves in Castellana Grotte in the afternoon-remember afternoons are Chiuso-Then I would do the Adriatic Monopoli, Polignano, and then the drive thru zoo in Fasano in the afternoon. I would definitely go to Lecce, about 1 hr drive due to good roads. Go early as the castle closes 12:45 until 5pm, see the sights and then have a nice long lunch at 2pm and walk around before driving back. Don't be scared by the distances these places are not far away but a GOOD GPS is a MUST. The traffic down here is slight and April should be perfect as it is before the heavy beach season. Taranto is a big dirty port city and Brindisi offers nothing . Read as much as you can about what to see as down here there is no where as much to see in each place but each offers it's own unique atmosphere. We still have some more time here before 2 weeks in Florence so if you read this and need more info just shoot it off as I spend a lot f time on TA looking for what to do, where to go, and where to eat. Ciao

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

good info Kreil.....yes Polignano is the place to stay.

certainly quiet tho in the siesta so ideal time to do the longer journeys.

Burnsville, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

We're going about the same time. Matera for a few days, Puglia 7-9 days, then Amalfi to be with friends. We plan on staying at an Airbnb.https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/167316?checkin=03%2F28%2F2014&checkout=04%2F05%2F2014&guests=2 There are others. This location means about all the wineries, towns olive oil presses, memorable restaurants, sites& seashores are within an hour or hour plus. And you get to meet local hosts. I'm contacting Italian Facebook friends I've never met from the area to see about a meetup for lunch.

Chicago
Level Contributor
283 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

How serious is this Everything shutting down? So, if we go on a car tour to Lucca or Siena and get there around 1 does that mean we won't be able to go in anywhere, for lunch or a museum?

Does all of Florence shut down for four hours every day?

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stay for 5 nights in one hotel or move around?

air BNB is certainly worth investigation and i am checking various destinations at the moment using them.

BUT the only suspicion i have in all my myriad searches is that i am yet to come across a bad review....... ..........surely we are not on the most perfect accom site of all time ????

Get answers to your questions about Ostuni