We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Parikia That Bad?

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Is Parikia That Bad?

Most of the TA members say that it is better to stay in Naoussa rather than Parikia. Parikia is the main port and main town in Paros and has good bus connections to other parts of the town, plus more shops, tavernas, businesses, etc., which gives it an advantage of Naoussa. I am thinking of a trip to Paros and have been going back and forth on which town to stay in. Is there a real difference between the two towns other than Naoussa being more quaint and smaller? And how bad could Parikia be if one wanted to base their stay there?

Trearddur Bay...
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

Personally, I prefer Parikia. I find Naoussa to be a bit fake somehow (just my own opinion of course). I thought it was nice to visit for a few hours but didn't get the feeling from it that a lot of people seem to get. I have been to Paros numerous times, have stayed in both towns but usually stay in Parikia. Behind the seafront Parikia is a proper Greek working town which I quite like. The bus service around the island is very good and there are also water taxis from Parikia harbour to some lovely nearby sandy beaches as well as to AntiParos. I don't think Parikia is 'bad' at all and if you get accommodation away from the ferry terminal then it doesn't need to be noisy either. There are loads of hotels and rooms on the road leading to the Livadia area of town which is still only a 15 min or so walk to the main shopping area. I've also stayed at Aliki in the south of the island near the airport. It's much quieter there with enough tavernas to keep you going but not very big on shops (although there is an excellent bakery) but has some great beaches nearby. It seems very popular with Greeks too who visit for lunch etc.

Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
952 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

It really depends on when you are thinking of visiting. Both have positives and negatives but these depend on the time of year and what you are interested in. For instance, outside the peak and shoulder seasons, the bus connections are better from Parikia. It is also a fabulous town to explore when it is relatively quiet. In the peak season Naoussa can be too popular or 'fake'. In the off season for some it is too quiet.. In May June and September Naoussa is possibly at its best.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

I don't think Parikia is "bad" in any sense, and frankly am puzzled by the title of your post. Parikia is the island's captital, and has the amenities of which all Parians depend, therefore making it a little more "city-like" than other settlements on Paros. It's the hub for the island's bus service, so getting around is easiest from Parikia. The Ekatontapiliani Church is probably the most beautiful in the Cyclades, and nearby the church is a small archaeological museum.

Naoussa, I'll have to say, is more picturesque, with several nice beaches in Naoussa Bay, all accessible by taxi boat from the harbour. It's also a little closer to the string of sandy beaches on the eastern coast. If some people prefer Naoussa, that doesn't make Parikia "bad". It's not an "either-or" situation, as there are many other nice places to stay on Paros.

That said, I prefer staying on Antiparos and taking an occasional day trip to Paros. I can be in Parikia in 30 minutes, and from there take the bus to Naoussa, Lefkes, Piso Livadi, Drios, Aliki, or just about anywhere else on Paros.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

Parikia isn't bad at all. Parikia or Naoussa is only a matter of taste. I have stayed in both, and probably would rate Naoussa a little above Parikia (but only a very little). My experience is that the places I have stayed over-night is the better places. The people going to Antiparos, loves Antiparos. I have only been there on day-visits, and find it rather average. If I gave it a chance for some days, it would probably climb on my "like-list".

Edited: 5:04 am, January 02, 2014
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

I totally agree with Periscope — it's only a matter of taste. As for Antiparos, day-trippers miss the best of the island, which emerges in the evening when all the cafes and tavernas are open on the pedestrian-only main street. One of Periscope's countrymen, Jan Bergtun, has a private website, http://islandstrolling.com , with a large section on Antiparos. The website is beginning to show its age, but still captures the essence of Antiparos. There are sections devoted to Paros and Naxos as well.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

I am sorry, but it seems like Jan Bergtun isn't maintaning his web-site anymore. Jan is a great Antiparos fan,and heavily promoted the island, especially as a childrens paradise. Parts of Antiparos were reported to sound like a suburb of his hometown Stavanger.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

Yes, Jan has stopped maintaining his website, and as I wrote it is starting to show its age. It's still on the internet, though, and gives a good idea of what the island is like. Another more up to date website is angelfire.com/super2/greece/antiparos.html , written by another Antiparos addict.

concord nh
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

Maybe I shouldn't have had "BAD" in the title. There was another topic about Naoussa and many posts said it was a wonderful place to stay in Paros, making Parikia seem second class. I've done research on both towns and can't really see a lot of difference other than Parikia being the main port town which gets busy during the High Season but apparently gets very quiet afterward. In fact I was on Naxos this past October and the ferry stopped at Parikia coming and going and the waterfront didn't appear to be that busy or very crowded. It looked very nice in fact. I guess the main thing is WHEN you are there. Since it will be October it should be a lot less busy and more quiet, just like in Sifnos, Milos & Naxos where I have gone during October. Got some good responses here about the benefits and quality of Parikia. If I decide to go to Paros it would seem Parikia would fit my needs and with the good bus service out of Parikia I can do day trips to Naoussa, other parts of Paros and Antiparos. Will still be doing more research as I have plenty of time to decide.

Thanks

Edited: 9:05 am, January 02, 2014
Fuerteventura
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Paros, Sifnos
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
952 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

Heimdall is so right that 'The Ekatontapiliani Church is probably the most beautiful in the Cyclades' . It is absolutely fabulous.

It looks like you will visit Paros in October so it does not really matter whether you stay in Parkikia or Naoussa. Antiparos, though worth a visit, will be too quiet in October and most accommodation and tavernas will have closed down. In October I would think about hiring a car - they will be cheap at that time of year, either in Naoussa or Parikia. If you had a car, at that time of year I would marginally prefer staying at somewhere like the top rated Scorpio Studios In Naoussa. With a car you could travel round the island and not be reliant on the increasingly sparser buses.

We lived on Paros for 4 years so please to do not hesitate to send a PM if you need more info

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,691 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Parikia That Bad?

NomadicTraveller is right — Antiparos wouldn't be a good choice for October. Had you included your travel dates in the OP I wouldn't have mentioned it. Paros stays busy a little longer, but gets quiet in October as well. Buses run less frequently, meeting the needs of islanders to get to work or school in the morning and return home in the afternoon. All the more reason to stay in Parikia and rent a car if you can.

Antiparos would still make a good day trip, but only if you have a car. Most rental agencies are happy to allow their cars on the Paros - Antiparos ferry, which runs regularly throughout the day. With a car you can drive to the south of the island to visit the cave, and see the beautiful villas in the Soros and San Giorgio area. The beaches at the south of the island are sand, and sheltered from northerly winds.

Get answers to your questions about Parikia
Recent Conversations