We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seiffen

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
361 reviews
Save Topic
Seiffen

Thinking about going up there on a Saturday. I can't tell from the town website, but do they have factory shops that sell Christmas decor year round? Looking to purchase some stuff, and I'm hoping it will be cheaper than a Kathe Wohlfart store. Is this the case?

10 replies to this topic
Germany
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seiffen

Yes to all questions :-)

http://www.seiffen.de/shopping.cfm

http://www.seiffen.de/schauwerkstaetten.cfm

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seiffen

Thanks eagle. The wife will be pleased. But any idea what's causing the lack of hotels in the area next weekend? I'm staying one night in Stauffen and one night in Goerlitz, (Christmas ornament and Polish Pottery shopping) and even though I found accommodations, most places were sold out.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seiffen

Probably just the long weekend and the hope for some nice spring days. And in case of Görlitz a big sporting event in the nearby Zittau mountains.

BTW: you can get Bunzlau pottery in Görlitz too. Many producers from Bunzlau settled in Upper Lusatia after the war and continue this tradition.

Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seiffen

Not sure if they are cheaper than "Kathe Wohlfart", probably not, but for sure better quality, hand made crafts with individual styles versus factory stuff from mass production. After visiting a couple of shops in Seiffen you'll see the difference. Happy shopping!

Germany
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seiffen

Lack of available hotels in Seiffen? I tried www.hotel.de and several came up with vacancies. Wettiner Höhe and Seiffener Hof are quite good e.g.

For Görlitz try www.goerlitz.de - I found about 35 available places, most of them B&Bs. Hotel Börse is top, Hotel & Gasthof Dreibeiniger Hund another very good choice.

Bautzen, Germany
Level Contributor
844 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Seiffen

And Hotel Tuchmacher in one of Görlitz' finest Renaissance houses, in case someone is interested in architecure.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seiffen

I should have clarified, family rooms are scarce next weekend. Regardless, I'll be staying at http://www.hotel-poppschesgut.de/ and

http://www.hotelsilesia.de/en

Germany
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seiffen

Good choices, I'd say. Celebrated New Year's Eve once in the Silesia - was fun. They serve the regional specialty "Schlesisches Himmelreich", definitely a recommendation.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seiffen

Back from the weekend. In case there are any lurkers, Seiffen is pretty much a shopper's paradise, as there must have been nearly 50 places that sold hand-made Christmas stuff, each with enough unique items to make it worth trying to visit most of them (I did for comparison shopping, and the items were all within 10% of each other from store to store. And I'll cut Kathe Wohlfart a break - when you factor in the difficulty in getting to Seiffen, her prices weren't obscene when compared to the stores in Seiffen (and I saw a lot of the same things in Seiffen that she sells in her stores).

Grafenwohr, Germany
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seiffen

Shopping in Seiffen. We went the second week of March in 2018 on a weekday hoping it would not be busy, and it wasn't. There is a large parkplatz where you can use a WC and it's within walking distance of the main avenue in the town where most of the shops are. There is a nice shop across the street from the parkplatz and then there is this shop at the bottom of the stairs of the parkplatz called Seiffener Volkskunst and its address is Bahnhofstraße 12, 09548 Kurort Seiffen/Erzgeb., Germany. We came in from Dresden so it was the first shop you pass coming in. We popped in, looked around and found something we really liked, but settled on some replacement candle holders for a pyramid we own. We paid cash which came to less than 25 Euros and left. It was after visiting several other shops in town we realized we had purchased the wrong replacement candle holders and went to get our money back. We were told they would not return our money. Now, we speak German so that was no issue, we paid in cash so there shouldn't have been any issue with simply putting the "still-new-in-the-bag-items" back, but only after my spouse came around a corner with something else to buy did they then agree to refund our money and put it towards the purchase of something else. This action spoke volumes to us. They made us feel like we were trying to cheat them. We really didn't need them and weren’t trying to cheat anyone. I would not give them my money again either online (http://www.schauwerkstatt.de/) or in person. They knew we were from out of town and took advantage over a 25 Euro purchase, sad. As I said, there was something else there we liked and we purchased it spending 60 more Euros. When they saw my spouse with something else to buy all of a sudden they were all smiles and nice to us. But were not willing to be nice or give us our money back otherwise. I will say our money was well spent at a store called Seiffener Pyramidenhaus address is Am Rathaus 2, 09548 Seiffen / Erzgebirge, Germany. We stopped in at one point, looked around, and then went to another store only to come back. Folks were nice, helpful and very customer oriented. They took our VAT form, got us new items from the back from the displays out front, helped us to comparison shop with items we might have missed on display and put everything in a huge plastic bag for us because it was raining out. In fact, I'd like to say that out of the dozen or so places we stopped and shopped; only two disappointed us. The one I mentioned above and a store right up from Seiffener Pyramidenhaus (can’t remember that name or find it on Google right now). Now, we've lived in Germany for a few years, been in Europe as a whole for about six. We're aware as a tourist you take a certain risk that you'll spend money on things that you just can't return. This is the first time we've experienced this, but I just wanted anyone else who was interested in going to Seiffen to look for collectable Christmas items as these to be aware. If you make a purchase, be very sure. Be very, very sure. Ask for the stores return policy before purchasing if at all possible. Hope this helps someone.

Reply to: Seiffen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Seiffen
Recent Conversations