We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

Which Esslingen am Neckar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

Hello all,

We're going to stay in Stuttgart 3 nights and 2-ish days! Ludwigsburg will be one day trip and the other will be Esslingen (thanks to all you good people on TA). It'll be a cool contrast between the two!

We're really excited about the Esslingen Christmas festivities but not able to glean too much info from the town website.

How long is a good amount of time to loiter around Esslingen (get a feel for the town, maybe hike up to the Burg), then to enjoy the medieval market? Should we head over at lunch? Or is this a full day affair? Also, I read about a torch lit procession at some point, but not sure when that is or how to get involved!

Thanks for your thoughts. Any ideas are always welcome. =)

HY

6 replies to this topic
München
Level Contributor
488 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

Hi,

here is more information about Esslingen and the exact date of the torch light procession:

esslingen-bilderbuch.de/mehr/…index.php

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

You can easily spend a half day to a full day in Esslingen ( www.esslingen.de ) even without the Christmas Market. Get a booklet on the town if only for the map so you can find your way around and see the places you can visit. The Stuttgart tourist office opposite the train station usually has them, and also booklets on Ludwigsburg. Esslingen is also home to Kessler, Germany's oldest Sekt (Sparkling wine) cellar, and they do tours by prearrangement.

Canada
Level Contributor
332 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

Thanks to both of you! We will have to make a full day visit then. Too bad the torchlit procession only happens on Dec 21 this year. Any good suggestions for lunch there?

For future reference:

I followed the link that Marco gave and discovered this version of the website:

http://www.tourist.esslingen.de

If you just read the English section for the Christmas/Medieval markets, the information is limited. But if you put the web address into Google Translate, you can read the German version which is packed with information including the daily schedule and market maps!

Edited: 2:31 pm, December 05, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Stuttgart, Baden-Wurttemberg
Level Contributor
14,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

You can climb the remains of the city wall and eat in the Dicketurm, "Fat Tower", which will have nice views. However, recently it has changed hands and is not as good. Down in the oldtown, we like Gambrinus which is an excellent restaurant, and their Maultaschen made with wild game is superb (Wildmaultaschen).

Edited: 3:44 pm, December 05, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

We returned from Stuttgart last night and can say yes yes yes to Esslingen Christmas markets. They are brilliant. We spent at least 4 hours there. The medieval market is excellent, costumes, performances and displays of the old trades.

Ludwigsburg was not as great. Very commercial. The market was at least 70% shop based stalls eg: selling jumpers, socks, cooking equipment. Its like a shopping centre but with a christmas bow wrapped around it. If I knew that, I wouldn't have gone.

My final piece of advice is to rug up warm. We had -5 and snow. I have never been so cold.

Frankfurt
Destination Expert
for Frankfurt
Level Contributor
5,592 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market

We also just got back from the Esslingen market. What a fabulous treat. They really went all out to make this authentic and the ancient, historic, fachwerk buildings make you feel like you just stepped back in time. Once they light the torches and lanterns it gets even more enchanting.

This is a market I would certainly recommend to anyone who wants a new Christmas market experience or those with kids, or basically everyone.

Would like to do a shout-out for the Stuttgart market too. The city is lit up nicely and having the markets spread out makes it nicer not to be so crowded. Very well decorated too.

Reply to: Esslingen Medieval/Christmas Market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Esslingen am Neckar
More Esslingen am Neckar Topics