We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Which Ko Samet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Topic
Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Hi guys! I am visiting Thailand in end of December and probably staying at Bangkok for few days then trying to visit either Koh Chang or Koh Samet for few days.... which island has prettier ocean? All I wanna do is just sit by the beach and relax. Seems like there are more things to do in Koh Chang but only have few days and Ko Samet is closer to Bangkok right?

Thank you!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,184 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Hi,

I don't think you will be disappointed by whichever island you choose. As you rightly note Koh Samet is a lot closer but do avoid visiting it on the weekend since it can get very busy.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Yes AjarnAndy is correct, both islands very nice and reachable by road in a day from Bangkok.

Up to 4 nights Koh Samet and 4 nights or more Koh Chang.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Suggest that you check some of the earlier posts concerning the recent oil spill at Koh Samet and the subsequent contamination of the surrounding waters with high levels of mercury!

Seattle, Washington
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Thanks Everyone!!

Did not know that there was an oil spill at Koh Samet!! Will definitely be traveling to Koh Chang =)

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Have never been Koh Samet but have been to Koh Change twice in 2011 and 2012 and the place is beautiful. White Sands is the busiest beach but the beach is fantastic and great swimming. Definately recommend Koh Chang.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Hi all,

The original plan of my family is to travel Koh Samet from 5 to 7 Dec 2013 and we have booked a guest house already. We will flight to Chiang Rai from Bangkok on 8 Dec.

After reading the posts about oil spill, I am now planning to cancel our booking and change our route. My sister would love to swim in the sea. As it is 5 hrs away by bus from Koh Chang to Bangkok, my parent (over 70 yrs old) may feel too tired on the journey. Would you please suggest some beaches for me?

Thanks for your advices. ~~

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,895 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Hua Him, its not an island but it is a beach town/city. Not a nice as either Koh Chang or Koh Samed but its only 2hours from Bangkok.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Hi

With just 2 nights forget koh Chang. Koh Chang is beautiful but is a long way or expensive to get there and stay just 2 nights. If you have 5 nights then go for it.

Agree whir either koh samet or Hua Hin.

Cheers,

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

Thanks! I will consider Hua Hin instead of Koh Samet.

(^o^)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,978 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Samet or Koh Chang in December for 2 nights?????

The oil spill 3 months ago near Koh Samet only affected one beach on the west side of the island at Ao Phrao. The main and popular beaches on the east side of the island were unaffected.

I will be heading for a 4 week stay in Bangkok in a few days time and intend having 2 or 3 nights on Koh Samet. Hopefully will report back here the state of play. I know business has been badly affected on this island