We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samet mid may?

T K
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Koh Samet mid may?

Hellos~

So my husband and I are traveling for a handful of days to Thailand for a break. We were looking to Koh Samet for a 2 night stay mid week before the crowds come, but we're not sure about the weather and what side of the island to stay on.

Any suggestions?

Also, since our trip is a quick one, what's the best way to get to the island? We arrive at 7am in BKK Wednesday morning.

Thanks for any solid advice.

Mentioned in this post
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,173 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Hi,

Expect the weather to be hot:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/ko_samet/

Most hotels etc are on the east coast of this small island. You can travel to Ban Phe (from where the boats for Koh Samet depart from) by bus from the Ekkamai Terminal or Minivan from Victory Monument. You could also arrange for a private transfer.

T K
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Weather: I'm just curious whether to expect much rain? it is the beginning of the rainy season from what I've read on all sites.

Also, the bus i read takes 5 hours! is there anything shorter?

or is there anything straight from BKK airport to the area?

Should i go to pattaya first, then the ban phe?

Edited: 11:23 pm, May 05, 2013
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,173 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Hi,

The quickest way to get there from the airport is by private transfer and then ferry:

orientalescape.com/thailand/…bangkok.html

Look at the cost for Ban Phe on the link above.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Any of the minivans from Bangkok take about 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic you can get one from Victory Monument as well from memory i think it's 200baht.......mandy

Mentioned in this post
Victory Monument
Victory Monument
568 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Hi

The bus from Ekamai takes 3 hours and is 306 baht return. Vongdeurn beach is a nice spot to stay on

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Last mini van I took from Victory Monument to Ban Phe took nearly 4 hours as it seemed to get stuck in Rayong dropping off and picking up too many people. For this particular trip I prefer the blue and white bus from Ekkamai journey time about 3.5 hours 178 Baht per journey and as toffedoll says for return

Mentioned in this post
Rayong
Rayong
Rayong Province, Thailand
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

we got to ban phe on a private transfer and the journey took us about 3 hours. 30 mins ferry ride to koh samed costs about 50-100 baht. you will also have to pay 200 bth for entry into Koh Samed national park (which everyone entering the island have to pay). we were 4 adults and 2 children. The place is very family (& children) friendly. we stayed at Samed Pavillion. Loved the place. highly recommended. Try out the trip to nearby islands and snorkeling.

Edited: 6:41 am, May 08, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Koh Samed
Koh Samed
440 Reviews
8. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, May 22, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Just back from 4 days in Koh Samed. Great weather throughout the stay.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Samed
Koh Samed
440 Reviews
Turku, Finland
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Samet mid may?

Any new updates about the weather? Just got here and wondering what I should expect for next few days? Any idea to go to snorkeling trip? Thanks!