We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Im planning a trip to Thailand and Koh Samet was suggested to me by a friend. They thing is im not sure if I will enjoy it. Im not the type of person that likes to sit around a beach all day for 5 days. I will shopping and eating. My fav destination is Seminyak in Bali and I want to find something similar in Thailand. Is Koh Samet the place for me?

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Koh Samet is ok for a few days - would get boring least for me if stayed any longer.

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

I can't compare it to the place you have been in Bali as I have not been, but Koh Samet is fairly chilled and relaxed. I personally love it, but then again I am very happy sitting on a beach with a good book during the day, enjoying a few walks, and having some drinks in a beach bar during the evening We did a speedboat trip around a few islands here, but if you are wanting shopping etc, it is perhaps not the place for you?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

For 2-5 days Koh Samed is great. Hire a motor bike or quad bike for a couple of days. However any longer, unless you sit on a beach all day it will get boring as the island is only 6 km long.

Have you considered Koh Chang, much bigger island far more to do

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Hi,

I believe that Koh Samet is fine for five days. You could hike around the small island and in doing so keep yourself occupied.

Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Just fixing a typo in my post it should read, "I like shopping and eating at cafes/restaurants"

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,584 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Hi,

There isn't much in the way of shopping but plenty of bars and restaurants.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Level Contributor
187 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

I think by what your talked about you may get bored on Samet after a few days. I myself love it with the clear water and the not to busy beaches. But past that and some fine dining in the evenings there is not much else.

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
494 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

hi

if you like shopping and eating I think that koh samet is not for you. we stayed in both koh samet and koh chang and you can' t compare these islands

koh samet is good if you like relaxing (3 or 4 days)and there is not much to do (even hiring a bike the island is so small that there is nowhere to go ... but the beaches are gorgeous and the water very clear there are a few restaurants and 2 seven eleven shops

we also stayed in koh chang et as §3 wrote I think that koh chang would be more appropriate for you, the island is big enough , there is a life and you would find many shops , restaurants, bars, activities etc, we were in kaibae beach 7 days and we did not get bored at all

Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

Just agreeing with others, lovelt places for a few days but if shopping important might not be for you.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
651 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Koh Samet, Will I be bored?

I can tell you straight away that Koh Samet is not for you unless you like shopping at the 7-11, because there is not much else apart from that.

Seminyak is the high end spa and boutique capital of Bali, so if you want something close to that you need to go to Pattaya.

I would suggest Dusitd2 Baracuda in the centre of town or Dusit Thani at the Northern end of the beach. I know that people don't like Pattaya because of its poor reputation but actually there are heaps of things to do there for the tourist and most of what you have seen on the TV is hype and you are unlikely to have any problem.

As you don't like the beach the place will be great for you as the beach is poor and the water cloudy.

Edited: 6:45 am, April 12, 2013