We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Koh Samet

Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok to Koh Samet

How much should I pay to get to Koh Samet from Bangkok, is it easy to get to from the airport? and how does it compare with koh Phangnan (outside of the full moon party)

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
183 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

You can catch a bus from Ekamai bus terminal in Bangers which will take you to Bang Phe where you transfer to a ferry or speedboat for the short trip over to Samet. Ferries cheaper ( about 100 baht last time from memory ) and quite relaxing. I dont think you can compare Samet with Phangnan , Samet is a lot quieter and doesnt really party up , more of a getaway relaxation place. Tip: when you arrive at the main wharf on Samet , instead of going with everyone else off to the left , hang a right from the wharf and follow the road around about 2 kilometres...there are some nice quiet places to stay overlooking the water and some have their own beach.

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
183 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

...sorry forgot to say...from airport to Ekamai bus station about 400 baht by meter taxi.

Edited: 11:49 pm, March 14, 2010
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

If you go to the island by yourself aiming to look for bungalow choises, study first wich area you want to stay. The beaches have different athmosphere and visitors and in practise north part of the island is more busy (also due day trip tourists) and further south you go, the more quiet it gets. Major part of beaches have very poor connections to each other and therefore whan booking the boat to the island, it helps a lot that you get the correct beach are at the very beginning. A good choise is Vongduen Beach as next beaches are just a short walk away on both sides.

Leave Bangkok very early in the morning so that you can get the morning boat out and vv. when returning to mainland.

AU, CZE
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

How long is it gonna take to get from the airport to the Ekamai bus terminal? We are group of 4 and will be leaving airport around 6pm Friday 30/4. Will there be still any bus which will take us to Ban Phe?

We would like to get to Ban Phe on the same day we arrive and sleep overning, so we could take first ferry in the morning to Koh Samet.

If there are no buses from BKK available that late in the day, how much would a big taxi/van cost?

Appreciate any help.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

Info on buses TO Ekkamai here (you want the AE3);

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c116554/Thail…

Whether there's onward buses to Ban Phe at that hour I don't know.

Just on the question of a minivan transfer Airport to Ban Phe, expect to pay around 3000฿ and take around 2+ hours.

Just two of MANY options;

orientalescape.com/thailand/…index.html

http://www.bangkoklimo.org/

Bangkok, Thailand
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

Koh Samet is about a 2 hr journey from BKK by car or Taxi,

I would assume a Bus trip would be cheaper but take longer, For 4 of you travelling its usually cheaper to get a Taxi or Van 2500THB tops, for a one way trip! You could contact a travel agent online to pre book your transport to and from BKK, a return journey should not cost more than 4800THB for all of you!

Edited: 2:31 am, April 14, 2010
Hawaii
Level Contributor
219 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

Take the bus, as said above it will cost around 2500 baht or so, you will save about 1 hour or so of travel time. Not a big deal cause it's only about 2 1/2 to 3 hours total.The bus last time I took it was only around 140 baht or less, the bus stop is right across the main ferry from Ban Phe to Koh Samet. If you would like the driver to drop you off down the road be sure to specify when you get on the bus or not too long after.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

crikey! more and more contributors from BKK!! Must be boring guys!

Samet is not a place to relax anymore really, unless on a mon-thurs trip out of season. I loved this place for years but, like many people I know who were Samet regulars,'not an option' anymore if wanting a cheap relaxing stay on a clean white beach - all those on samet are on the west side resorts...at 100 dollars a night. The main beaches are noisy, dirty and bad value, but then that's what being the closest 'white beach island' to Bangkok means..

AU, CZE
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

Many thanks all of you for the useful info, appreciate it!

Thailand
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok to Koh Samet

You can get a Bell travel bus from the Airport to Pattaya for under 200 baht, then from the bus station a bus to Ban Phe, I apologise for anyone who said this already, then dont let the dealers at Ban Phe offer you discount deals on accommodation on the Island, just insist on the Ferry and get there.

You will need to pay an entry fee as the Island is a national park I think is 200 baht per person, if you go across on the speed boat they drop you on the beach, but is about 1200 baht on the speedboat, the best beach being Sai Kaew beach and just walk along and look at a few places, I stayed at 3 different and all nice.

See the vid I found on youtube for Samet.

Accom is from about 600 baht for fan room to 1000 for A/C room about 20 quid a night, great beach, great food, Relaxing to its max.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdD55LHwsNU

Edited: 1:55 pm, April 16, 2010