We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to book bus tickets in advance from Pak Chong to Bangkok?

I looked at trains, but they are fully booked according to the website (I'm travelling on new years eve..Eek) - though actually bus looks like a better option anyway.

So, advance ticket website for buses? or can anyone recommend a private minibus/taxi firm.

Thanks all!

Hannah

17 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

The Transport Company (government) and a couple of private bus companies run services into Bangkok's Morchit Mai bus station (nearest MRT is Kamphengphet station - closer than Morchit BTS). I think bookings can't be made more than a few days ahead in most cases.

Austin TX
Level Contributor
8 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Booking - Not worth it - the buses run to Bangkok every few minutes. The Korat-Pak Chong- Bangkok buses alone go every 15 minutes. Then there are a ton of other lines. You have to remember that Pak Chong is the choke point of all transport to NE Thailand and EVERYTHING goes through Pak Chong. And it you book then it might be late - no point of waiting for a 30 mins late bus as half a dozen others set off without you. Now the issue is where you get one. There is a big bus station with a lady who speaks excellent English just east of the Post Office. But buses seem to stop about everywhere and there is another bus station on the south side of the road downtown too. I have often put students on buses to Bangkok and they never get the bus they planned. One normally waits about 2 minutes and has the choice of 3 buses. Quite bizarre. Figuring out a path through all this is another matter. Best to befriend someone who wants to practice their English and have them help you. Go into any eye glasses shop or similar and they will speak good English. You better arrive an hour before you plan to leave. Make sure it is a nice aircon bus or it might be a slow one that stops a bunch of places. If it looks like an old school bus then it is not the one for you as it will stop at every village along the route and take hours.

Also if you go to the station they will get you on a train. It might be third class and cost you all of 36 Bht (one buck). And all the people will want to talk to the adventurous falang girl and give you food.

Choc Dee - good luck.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,805 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Great posting, Peter and great advice. It's good to have an insider posting from Pak Chong. Unfortunately the young lady likely made her trip back at the end of December ;-(

By the way, pharmacies are another place you're likely to find people who speak English, along with optical shops.

Edited: 3:52 pm, January 24, 2013
Pak Chong
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Having lived in Pak Chong for the last ten years or so, I'd just like to correct some information given here.

There's no almost no point in asking anyone for directions in any shop at all in Pak Chong - you'll be lucky if they understand bus to be honest.However, the main office for buses to Bangkok is easy to find, and is opposite the seven eleven in the center of town (the one near the night market and with a mini-roundabout nearby it). The buses depart every hour (usually just after the hour) from before dawn until well into the evening.

There is no way to buy a ticket in advance that I'm aware of without visiting the office in person, but you can almost always get on the next bus that comes through unless it is a major holiday.

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Hi Peter, any advice if I want to go from Suvarnabhumi Airport as quckly and efficiently as possible to Pak Chong? Any easy way to get from the airport to Mo Chit to take the bus? How long does it take? Thanks in advance!!

Pak Chong
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Depending on whether you're travelling with a large amount of luggage or not, possibly the easiest way to get to Mo-Chit nowadays is to catch the airport link which interchanges with the SkyTrain at Paya Thai. From there, it's just a short journey on the SkyTrain and a quick hop in a taxi to the bus station - where you want the second floor for busses to Isan (the North East region).

The Airport Link service runs from 6:00 am to Midnight - although the express (direct) services to the city are currently suspended, so it will take a little longer but be incredibly cheap (I think, about 50 baht) to use and shouldn't take much longer than an hour for the whole journey to Mo-chit I would have thought - it's been a while since I used it.

Edited: 8:49 pm, November 16, 2014
Budapest, Hungary
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Dear Peter!

What if we want to take minibus (10 seats) to Bangkok ( Don Muang), can we book it somewhere in advance? Are these minibuses faster then the normal bus? Im asking because we need to catch a plain in Bangkok.

Do you know how often the leave, unfoutounatly I havent found any information about booking, departing hours at the internet.

I would really apreciate if you could help us!

Thank you!

Nóra

Pak Chong
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

You can catch a "Tewada" mini bus from Pakchong (outside the Tops supermarket near the mini-roundabout) to Bangkok every hour on the hour. I believe they start at 6:00am and the last one of the day leaves at 7:00pm.

It may be possible to book in advance, but I'm sorry I don't have their phone number and you would need to speak Thai to be understood. I always just turn up half an hour before they leave to make sure they have a seat, and have never had to wait for a second van.

Journey time to Don Muang airport is similar to a regular bus and should be about two hours.

Udon Thani, Thailand
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Is it possible to catch a Bangkok Pak Chong bus outside of Don Muang airport please? This would save time getting to Mo Chit.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?

Dear Peter,

I am here in Pak Chong with my family for a few weeks, it is August. We took a private driver from Bangkok to here a week ago. It was set up for us. It costs 6000 bht. We would like to arrange something cheaper. It is off season now. I think we prefer the train if it is air conditioned and comfortable. A mini bus would be fine if a/c and comfortable.

What are your suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

I have other question also. We did some shopping in Bangkok, bought some very nice mens shirts, thick cotton, contemporary design, button down shirts with collars. They are too small (didn't have my older son or husband with me when I shopped). They will all fit my youngest son, luckily.

Where are the best places to get nice cotton, contemporary shirts, (button down with collar) in this region. We have a car here so we can go to "The Mall" or the outlet stores or any night market or town.

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Wendy

Reply to: Pak Chong to Bangkok by bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted