We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

Which Madikeri hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bengaluru, India
1 post
Save Topic
Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

Is it safe for foreign woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg? Currently, I heard it is raining heavily in Kodagu, will Coorg experience any flooding or power cuts? Thanks

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

Hi,

It is peak monsoon time now in Coorg and this year monsoon is extra generous in Coorg as of now, but it doesn't hamper regular travel plans.You can enjoy lush green plantations and monsoon magic in Coorg.There are power cuts like in many other cities, not frequent.Some sectors get flooded too since it is a hilly terrain, but nothing much to worry.Woman travellers are quite safe in Coorg, but basic precautions need to be followed, like avoiding venturing out alone during late hours and avoid secluded places.In case of cabs, always hire from a trusted source and use public transport as much as possible.

Best Rgds

Deepak.

Edited: 11:16 am, July 07, 2013
2. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:32 am, September 24, 2013
Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

The Dalai Lama is currently at Bylakuppe for his 78th birthday celebrations and you could combine that with a brief interlude. There are quite a few home stays run with the active participation of the lady of the house and if you choose one of these, you should be able to enjoy local hospitality without concerns of safety.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
821 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

It is raining in Coorg but the water does not stagnate much or make roads unusable. Some roads within estates will be slushy and you may need a jeep / 4-wheel drive to negotiate them. Power cuts may be there at times but the weather will be cool so you won't really miss the fan or AC.

It's fairly safe for women if you stay in a home-stay or a well-known hotel and not venture out alone after dark. In any case, I would highly recommend that you stay in a home-stay / estate / plantation, to enjoy Coorg the most. Trekking routes (except along main roads) are fairly confusing and desolate so always go with a trusted guide. This advice holds good not only for women but men too.

Princeton, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

Not sure but its a best place to visit near to Bangalore, indiaunimagined.com/top-25-places-to-visit-i… and get information.

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

Can you advise me - I am an older lady in Ooty at the Taj Savoy, which is lovely but I am concerned. I have tried to phone home in the UK from my room phone and cannot get through. I queried it with the hotel reception and they told me they cannot call the UK from here! This also happened at my hotel in Mysore. Do you know of any reason why?

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

I am concerned that I cannot use my room phone from taj savoy ooty india to ring the uk. The hotel reception said their phone is not set up for the uk? The same thing happened 2 days ago in Mysore.

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

tajhotels.com/Leisure/…facilities.htm suggests that The Taj Savoy does have direct dial facilities from the hotel room.You should ask to speak to the general manager and check.

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Madikeri, Karnataka
Level Contributor
3,676 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

Hi,

It is strange to know about your experience.Most of the star properties have direct dial access to national as well as international destinations.Please check with your front office again.There seems to be some other issue.

10. Re: Is it safe for woman travellers to travel alone in Coorg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 14, 2015