We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blenheim to Hamner Springs

Invercargill
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Blenheim to Hamner Springs

About Christmas we will be in in Blenheim. We want to travel to Hamner Springs from there. Which is the quickest route. Heading inland, through Murchison , Lewis Pass . etc. - or down the coast through Kaikora . I understand there are two turn offs this way one early on past Kaikora and the other nearer where you turn off SH 1 from Christchurch .

Any ideas ? Thanks

6 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blenheim to Hamner Springs

Welcome to the forum :)

Have a play around with Google maps. They will show the exact route and you can select different variations on how to get there. Just be aware the drive times are often overly optomistic. Best to add extra time to all drive times.

Have fun :)

Invercargill
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blenheim to Hamner Springs

Thanks. Have taken your advice and played around with the google maps. From what I figure out Blenheim to Hanmer Springs is the shortest by the Kaikoura route , but am a bit wary of the winding drive inland in what could be similar countryside most of the way. After first thinking about time, we might even spent an extra half hour now and go through the Murchison/Lewis Pass way . Could be more interesting. You,ve made me look a bit closer, thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blenheim to Hamner Springs

Hi,

I did the reverse a couple of years ago and went via Murchison. We took our time and the best part of a day. Had lunch at by the lake at St Arnaud and had beautiful weather all the way and a really enjoyable drive.

If time is not a factor I would recommend this.

Cheers

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blenheim to Hamner Springs

I have done Blenheim to Christchuch via the coast rd and also Hamner to Blenheim via the inland route - I would recommend the inland route - I left Hamner at 10 am and stopped a waterfalls and scenic spots -somewhere for lunch and was in Blenheim around 3pm ,so not a long trip but a beautiful one.

the trip along the Lewis Pass next to the Hope River is some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever see

Invercargill
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blenheim to Hamner Springs

Thanks JaayBee and our001 , appreciate the opinions via this forum . Although a bit longer sounds like we'll opt for the inland route . Plenty of time yet though . Thanks everyone.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blenheim to Hamner Springs

If the road through the Molesworth is open that offeres a shorter trip. While not sealed this is a great road. Other than, both the inland route and the coast trip are equally easy to drive.

Reply to: Blenheim to Hamner Springs
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted