We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

I'm Canadian (so I don't need a visa).. but I might like to stay for more than 6 months. Is it easy to get an extension?

Can I just fly somewhere (like Granada) every few months & then stay on MI for another 6 months?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

You are Canadian, like me, & will need a visa. You will be issued a 90 day tourist visa on the plane when you enter Venezuela.

At the end of 90 days you can either fly out to a neighbouring island & return with a new 90 day visa or find someone here who will do the paperwork for you for a fee.

After 180 days I'm not sure what you do. It used to be that there was a limit of 2 x 90 day periods per year however I'm not sure if that still applies or not.

My experience is that the fee will often be equal or higher than the return flight to another island.

Another thing to consider is how you are going to live once you are here.

If you are planning to use a debit or credit card then it will cost you about 80% more than it should. You will need to either bring cash (not very safe for an extended visit especially for a back packer) or traveler's cheques which can be hard to cash. Make sure your bank will allow you to do transfers to other accounts & banks. You may need to sign documents before leaving Canada.

The other alternative is to have a VERIFIED PayPal account so that you can send dollars to someone & get Bolivars in return. Make sure your PayPal account is VERIFIED as once you are here you won't be able to update it & you can't make payments from Venezuela if it's not verified.

2. Re: MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10:42 am, August 04, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

>> VERIFIED Paypal

Thanks! I'd never have thought of using Paypal :)

So...

How do you find someone who accepts Paypal?

What's the going rate for a Paypal transaction?

>> Make sure your bank will allow you to do transfers

Can you transfer $$ to a MI bank & withdraw USD?

Is it easy to open an account on MI? Do you need a fixed address?

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

You can not transfer $$ to a Margarita bank without suffering the 80% loss.

What happens is that everything "official' is at the rate of BsF.4,3 to US$1.

The reality here is that anyone with cash or the ability to transfer funds through banks to accounts in the US or Canada or PayPal can get Bolivars at a rate much higher than that (80% higher?). PayPal charges the receiver between 3 & 4%. For you it's free. The receiver will deduct the "fee" from the gross amount but you will still get the more beneficial rate when you are given your BsF.

About finding someone to do this for you.

After 3 or 4 days here you will find people to help you. Ask the owner of the hotel or B&B where you stay. Just be sure that you can trust the person, that is does he have a business & been established for a period of time. Don't trust anyone you just meet in the street or a beach bar. :-)

Lot's of business people here have both PayPal accounts & US or Canadian bank accounts.

A Margarita bank account is difficult if not impossible for a non resident to open. You need phone bills or electric bills to prove who you are.

Edited: 11:20 am, August 04, 2011
Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

In addition to everything Playa el Agua already said I will make two other points...you can apply for a year long visa at the Venezuelan embassy in downtown Toronto...just make sure they actually give you the year long visa and not just charge for the three month tourist visa you are already entitled to for free. Although, I'm sure Paypal works I don't know anyone who does it that way...most people just transfer from account to account but as he points out make sure you have authorizations set up to do so before you leave.

6. Re: MI entry requirements ... 12 month stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 23, 2013