We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

so, we had to leave for the airport, bought a sandwich at Ginny and Jane E's, a delicious corned beef sandwich (their menu says "corn beef" ;-)). it was 82 degrees leaving AMI and 42 degrees and chilly when we got home to St. Louis. we had a very nice time and can't wait to come back!! we may consider driving next year or will definitely have to save our money to fly, could get a smaller rental car, never did take the trolley but our neighbors didn't have a car at all and they got around with the trolley. have fun to whoever is reading this and going to AMI but I hope it doesn't get any more crowded! it is not too crowded now, just right, would love to go back other times of the year too, maybe in October, I hear that is a great time. apparently we had really good weather for the most part, I heard the spring was not good and I'm not sure how the weather has been since then. see you next time, thanks RustyKat and Kris and everyone for all the postings to help us discover this great place.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,424 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

Winter this year was great, but March was cold (like most of the norhern USA and europe). We had 14,000 animals die in the snow in March (which we don't normally get).

You could try Kayak for savings on airfare, but driving could be fun too. you could save on the air and car rental. but you wil have hotels in route and gas to pay for, At over 1000 miles it will take you at least 2 days each way.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

Great TR pecugl_4! Have you considered getting a Southwest Credit Card? We get points each month for things like our house utilities and gas for the car. If Southwest drops your price after you have booked, you can get a credit for a future booking. Also, consider using Priceline for your car rental or go to mousesavers.com for some great car rental codes.

Glad you had such a great time in AMI!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
245 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

Good suggestions on the savings, I will look into all of those. We are pretty wimpy about driving long distances plus both work full time and would have to put our dog in the kennel so we may just fly again but can definitely do better somehow on costs.

kutztown, pa
Level Contributor
1,445 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

We have always used Priceline to rent a car. I look at the online coupons to set my upper price and bid low. But I highly recommend getting old and retire, then you can do what we did---buy a red Mustang convertible and make a roadtrip adventure out of your vacation.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

we dont do long drives like this! that is just us...friends of ours drive to AMI every easter for the week!

in our minds, the $$$ supposedly saved is not large enough for us to drive...we rent a super cheap car for the week...this past yr i think we paid maybe 320 for the week. the $$ spent eating on the road and spending the night, would not be enough for us to endure it...imho...we only use the car to get from and to tpa airport and of course the grocery. other than that, it stays put! but, worth it to us.

i do kayak and search often while searching for airfares. yes, the flights are substantially higher than 5 yrs ago when we started coming to paradise and were able tofly straight into bradenton airport, we now fly to tampa and that one hr drive is a breeeze! but, we search and search...anything to get to paradise in our minds!

glad you had a great trip

6. Re: trip report, in a word...awesome! part two

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Anna Maria Island