We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

Woodbridge, Virginia
2 posts
Save Topic
Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

Hello! We're from Virginia and are anxious to come see Anna Maria. We were planning to come in April, but are a little concerned the ocean won't be warm enough yet for swimming. I'm wondering, generally, what's a safe date to visit to ensure warm waters? Do we need to wait until Mid-May?

Thanks!

Lauren

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,767 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

Typically the water would be warm enough towards the end of April but if you wanted to be safe and also if you want less crowds I would recommend Mid May, the weather should be very nice then, warm days and pleasant nights.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,976 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

Apart from the two recent years when the whole east coast was frozen (3 years ago?) I have always found the water swimable in april in general. and I am from MD.

But if the winter is cold, early april can be still a bit chilly water wise. but in a normal month, April is good. And last year, april was hot ;-) Obv it gets warmer each day, as both the gulf and pools are heated up by sunshine, but lose heat at night when it is cold.

The key to warm water is the night time temps and if it is cloudy or sunny.

lexington, ky
Level Contributor
742 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

My husband and I have gone the last few years in mid-May (coinciding with our anniversary) around the 10th-11th for a week. Weather is plenty warm and water felt great, and I get cold easy!

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,177 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

I wonder what the OP considers to be a warm water temperature; if you're used to swimming off of the Virginia coast, would that typically be in the mid 70's, or maybe even the upper 70's? If so, and if that's adequate, I'd say that you're probably safe by the last week or so of April. A lot of us locals are wimps, though, and want the water to be at least be 80, if not higher. For me that usually translates into a May 1 start date at the earliest, either in the pool or in the Gulf.

You can track average air temperature on a number of websites and that gives a good guide as to what will happen to the water temperature. Our air temperature really starts to climb about the second week of April. The average daytime high on April 1 is 78 and the nighttime low (when the water will cool) is 59. By May 1, the average daytime high is 83 and the nighttime low is 64. By June 1, the average daytime high is 88 and the nighttime low is 70. Remember, these are air temps -- not water -- but the water temps will gradually follow. (Sorry, folks, if that's all too much; I'm a weather geek and love to track that stuff!).

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

i personally am just waiting for our arrival easter week...not at all worried about temps...we have been in late march and early april and never had weather issues! although cleveland is quite cold..lol...so, once we are in paradise, all is good.....

Woodbridge, Virginia
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

Great, thank you so much, Everyone! We'll stay safe and aim for mid-may.

:)

7. Re: Safest earliest date to visit weather-wise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, December 17, 2013