We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Puerto Rico

Madrid in Spain
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Puerto Rico

Hi!

I'm going to Puerto Rico at the beginning of December. WE have doubts about distances in the island. Is Luquillo far from San Juan? How long does it take you from Luquillo to San Juan? We are thinking on staying for 4 nights in Rincón and 5 nights in the area of San Juan but we are findinding better offers in Luquillo. Is Rincon a good choice? We want to rest but also to do lots of sightseeing, interact with locals, shopping, a bit of going out at night.

Can any one one recommend us what "not to miss"? We would like to swim with dolphins, but in a natural way. Do you know where? Also we want to go to one of the luminiscent lakes.

Thanks for your help.

Las Piedras
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

Hi, the distance from San Juan to Luquillo is about 40 minutes. Rincon is peaceful and has nice beaches. Don't think there is an area to swim with dolphins. There are charters though, that can give you a ride to snorkel. If you go to Luquillo, I recommend going to El Yunque rainforest not far from Luquillo. There is in Fajardo the bioluminiscent bay. Hope this helps.

Las Piedras
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

Hi, the distance from San Juan to Luquillo is about 40 minutes. Rincon is peaceful and has nice beaches. Don't think there is an area to swim with dolphins. There are charters though, that can give you a ride to snorkel. If you go to Luquillo, I recommend going to El Yunque rainforest not far from Luquillo. There is in Fajardo the bioluminiscent bay. Hope this helps.

Also, if possible, don't miss going to Culebra Island. From Fajardo on boat is about 1 hour and 15 minutes for about 2 dollars or from Ceiba ( which is 15 mins from Fajardo) in an airplane 8 passengers 15 minute trip for about 40 dollars. Upon arrival ther is a cab that can take you to the beach. The beach is beautiful, white sand and crystal water.

Madrid in Spain
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

THanks a lot for your help. Anybody else wants to suggest places and things to do? Places to dine, have a drink, dance?

Kansas
Level Contributor
305 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

Pasta y Pueblo is a great VERY SMALL restaurant in Luquillo that I think is a must eat place. Brass Cactus is good if you want something more traditional mainland American. The Kioskos at Luquillo Beach are great and have just about anything you could desire.

Driving through the Rainforest and hiking the trails is a must do for sure. Tey puertoricodaytrips.com for GPS coordinates for the trailheads. MY favorite is still Angelitto's Trail. There is a small zipline on your way into the rainforest that may be fun if you haven't done that before. If you are an experienced zipliner this one may be too small.

Luquillo is not far from Fajardo where you can get lots of boat excursions. I missed the miniboats last time but will do it when I return. A private day sail on the Ventajerro is AWESOME. Seven Seas beach is in Fajardo and there is a trail to some secret beaches (look don't swim)...Playa Colora and Playa Escondida.

Rincon is a great choice as well. I have stayed in Aquadilla right above Crash Boat Beach and then driven into Rincon. A great part of the island. There are lots of fun little beach stops on your way between Luquillo and the West including a black sand beach that is very interesting. Cueva Ventana is neat and there is a lake, Lagos Dos Bocas, that you take a boat to various restaurants.

Do NOT miss the town of Guavate on Saturday or Sunday fo awesome roated pig and authentic Puerto Ricans having a great street festival kind of day.

Just a few thoughts and have fun.

Madrid in Spain
Level Contributor
22 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

Thanks a lot for all the tips. I might ask for more when we get closer to the dat or decide on exactly what to do.

I can't wait to go!!!

Kansas
Level Contributor
305 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

Hope you have a great time. Don't forget to check out www.puertoricodaytrips.com. I referenced that site many times for my trips down there and always find something new. BTW, the drive is really pretty easy between the East and West...pretty much like any large highway (with tolls). Just time it so that you are not going in/out of San Juan during rush hour.

Right off the highway in San Juan (just outside the airport) is a great local place called Bebos BBQ that is worth a stop. Very local and not BBQ like we have on the mainland. Be adventurous and try everything.

In Luquillo there is a local bar hat has a very good cheap breakfast, El Flamboyan. It actually serves a pretty good dinner as well. It is a typical outdoor bar/restaurant. Lots of folks from Playa Azul go there since it is so close.

I often pull into any of the bakeries and get a sandwich. Tripiletas are awesome (three meats). The sweet bread offered everywhere is really good.

7. Re: Trip to Puerto Rico

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 25, 2012