We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights

Which Calibishie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights

Hi Folks:

Does anybody have any suggestions on alternative ways of arriving/departing from Dominica other than direct flights? It seems there's options to arrive in adjacent islands and then take a ferry to Dominica. I'm wondering if that's commonly done.

I'm considering visiting with my wife and two sons (12, 10 years) over Christmas. We're seasoned travelers so some adventure is fine. Just trying to gauge whether it's worth looking at alternative means of arriving.

Thanks,

Drew

4 replies to this topic
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
589 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights

I'm assuming you mean direct regional flights as international flights don't fly direct to Dominica. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also interested in the feedback you'll receive on this as I'm looking for the same information.

I was reading about a ferry from Martinique or Guadaloupe to Dominica, which I believe is a 2 hour 30 minute ferry ride, as shown here:

http://www.express-des-iles.com/

Also cut and paste below from caribbean-on-line.com/travel-tips/…

Brudy Brothers Ferry (www.brudey-freres.fr) offers scheduled ferry service that connects Guadeloupe, Dominica, Martinique and St. Lucia.

I will definitely be following this post.

UK
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights

You're out in the open sea, which can be pretty rough. If any of your party get sea-sick, I wouldn't recommend it. No direct flights, either via Guadeloupe, Antigua or SXM.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
186 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights

Hello,

We flew to Fort-de-France in Martinique and then took the Express des Iles. It was a well organized 2.5-3h journey and it allows you to get a view along both islands.

We were with our two kids 5&7 at the time.

It gets a bit bumpy in the pass between the two islands, the AC in the main cabin where all the seats are was really cold, so bring a sweater. There was a small booth to buy a snack.

Regards,

/M

NJ
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights

We flew to St. Lucia then took the ferry from there to Dominica (www.express-des-iles.com). It was not the most pleasant experience: pretty much took all day and the wait was forever at each landing. Returning, the ferry was quite late from Guadeloupe and there was little to no space to sit- which was hard with three children, and baggage, etc. The sea was quite rough and unfortunately my little one experienced quite a bit of seasickness on that leg. Although the website boasted a cafe, it was more of a vending machine that accepted only Euro's, which of course, we didn't have. Bring snacks & drinks (or Euros).

Granted it was an experience that I am glad to have had - the older kids had a blast on deck with the wind, etc... approaching the island by sea is breathtaking. I would do it again, but only as a last resort.

Reply to: Alternatives to Arriving in Dominica Than Direct Flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Calibishie