We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November trip help please

rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
November trip help please

Just in the early stages of planning a 3 day stay in Mallaig for this november,any recommendations for a nice b&b or hotel,price range of £75-100 per night and its just for the 2 of us,many thanks for any help

Darren

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November trip help please

Perhaps,

tripadvisor.co.uk/AllLocations-g551964-c1-Ho…

We are curious to know why you wish to spend 3 days in Mallaig?

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November trip help please

in November?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
718 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November trip help please

Yes I am curious too. :)

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November trip help please

As the above link goes to Arisaig, I'd also agree to check this place out as an alternative to staying in Mallaig (unless you have a specific reason for wishing to stay in Mallaig?)

Here's more info on Arisaig

www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/arisaig.php

and Mallaig

www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/mallaig.php

Edited: 2:32 am, April 09, 2013
rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November trip help please

Hiya,many thanks for all the replies,the reason for November is all my holidays at work are booked for this year and i have few days left to book for november,the main reason for my visit is to experience the train journey from glasgow to mallaig and the fantastic scenery,i take it 3 days in mallaig is too long?

thanks

Darren

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November trip help please

Personally I would not stay one night in Mallaig. I dont have anything against it as such, its just IMO there are nicer places to stay nearby (Arisaig or possibly Morar) The train journey is of course excellent!

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: November trip help please

I echo KR_EDINBURGH's comments. Arisaig would be a lovely place to spend two nights.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: November trip help please

Mallaig is a small place but in times past had a heavily industrialised fishing industry. That has changes and it's reinventing itself as a tourist destination, partly because of the road to the isles, partly because it's the ferryport for Skye and other islands.

I agree you'd be pushed to keep yourself busy for three days in Mallaig alone, unless you love just pottering around.

Another possibility would be to look at the ferries going out from Mallaig. There are boats to Canna, Rum, Eigg, Muck as well as the car ferry to Skye. These boats don't sail every day but you might be able to do a day trip or an combination with a stop overnight. Look up calmac's website for details.

The best scenery would be at Arisaig, Morar; sands and seascapes; but you'll get equally good seascapes from the Minch between or on the islands.

In November the seas could be like a millpond or stormy. Therefore little point in committing yourself to ferries until you get there. But you DO need to check on B&B before departing overnight: In November many B&B's will have closed for their own holidays.

A plan B could be an early ferry to SKye,one that'll meet a bus, and travel to Broadford and eventually Kyle of Lochalsh - from which you can take a train to Inverness or bus to Inverness or back south again.

Edited: 9:25 am, April 09, 2013
rhyl, north wales
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: November trip help please

Thanks very much for the comments,i'll have a look at the various options you have all offered and get back to you all when i decide where to spend our stay,looking forward to it,first time in scotland in 30 years!!

once again thanks for all the help

Darren

Edited: 11:38 am, April 09, 2013
10. Re: November trip help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, May 21, 2017