We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip train travel in October 2012

Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip train travel in October 2012

We are planning a three week trip to Scotland in October. We are thinking about taking day trips on trains from Edinburgh to St. Andrews, Inverness to Aviemore, and Glasgow to Fort William, for example, using the larger cities as bases and getting to the cities by train as well. No car. Looking for comments on how day trips like this by train have worked for someone out there. Also, is there an advantage other than possible lesser cost to using an 8 of 15 day pass?

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
October
October
660 Reviews
Glasgow, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Aviemore
Aviemore
Aviemore and the Cairngorms, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
cambs
Level Contributor
540 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

Hi, thought Americans were welded to their car? You would have much greater flexibility if you did have a car and away from the Glasgow-Edinburgh central belt the roads are pretty quiet - if you change your mind let me know and I'll give you some great routes

If you are limited to public transport there are lots of places you can do in a day from Edinburgh

Glasgow

Fife towns such as Anstruther and Elie and of course St Andrews

Border towns such as Pebles and Selkirk

But he best of Scotland is the scenery and the best of thte scenery is in the north and west

If limite to public transport I'd recommend a 2-4 trip away from Edinburgh along these lines

From Edinburgh to Mallaig via Glasgow by train

Cross to Armadale on Skye by ferry

Explore Skye by bus

Return to the mainland at Kyle of Lochalsh via the bridge

Then back to Edinburgh via Inverness by train

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

Edinburgh - Fort William as a day trip is not really to be recommended - you will only get a short time there, and the town itself is not an interesting or attractive place.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

Regarding the Skye trip: Thank you! I agree that a car is a convenience but it seems there are plenty of places we can enjoy without one. At least, that's the plan right now. I'll look carefully at your suggested trip. A route like that is exactly what I was hoping to get from my request. On such a trip, where would you recommend staying overnight or maybe 2 nights?

Edited: 1:26 pm, June 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

To Dhmellor: Thanks. I realized that after I put Fort William in my post. Where else would you suggest we go from Glasgow that would be a one or two night stay?

Mentioned in this post
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

To beeble: Working off your suggestions: would it be advisable to travel from Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh and Mallaig and make it to Fort William in one day? (train, bus, ferry, train) We will be in Inverness for 3 days. If not, where should we stay enroute? I didn't see too many choices in Kyle of Lochalsh or Mallaig. Also, should we do the Jacobite train? Other thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Inverness
Inverness
Scottish Highlands, UK
Mallaig
Mallaig
Lochaber, UK
Fort William
Fort William
Lochaber, UK
Edinburgh, United...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

The last trainstop before Kyle of Lochalsh is a village called Plockton, (still on the mainland).

I stayed there overnight, after I traveled on Skye and had to take the train back to Edinburgh the next day. It is a beautifull little village.

It's a very pretty harbor village, the location is so sheltered from the wind that there are palmtrees. And... every Thursdaynight there is live music in the pub :)

Mentioned in this post
Plockton
Plockton
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Isle of Skye
Isle of Skye
The Hebrides, UK
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
554 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

Plockton is a good idea. Oban is a good destination by train from Glasgow. Plenty to do there for one or two days. You can even easily get a ferry to one of the closer islands, like Kerrera or Lismore. When on the island there are walks you can do to explore these communities.

Getting on a ferry to visit a west-coast island is a very special Scottish holiday experience. A must-do, I'd say, in a three week trip.

Mentioned in this post
Plockton
Plockton
Ross and Cromarty, UK
Oban
Oban
Argyll and Bute, UK
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

Thanks for the great suggestions. We'll add them to the list of side trips we are thinking about taking. We plan to be ready for any kind of weather since we will be on foot a bit more than if we were driving. Those sound like wonderful places for us to walk around and see.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Kuching
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

@re_teachIdaho

Presuming you are looking at scotrail.co.uk/content/freedom-scotland-trav…

Then I would say the 8 out of 15 day pass is much better value. Works out much cheaper per day.

You're probably aware already, but just to say there's no train station in St Andrews you have to change at Leuchars and get a bus. Any other questions will try and help!

Mentioned in this post
Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip train travel in October 2012

We have our 8/15 tickets and have planned out the basics of our trip. Thank you for the information you've shared. We are anticipating a relaxing and interesting trip!