We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

Seattle
Level Contributor
13 posts
38 reviews
Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

My mother and I will be in the FW area end of September. Renting a car, but taking the Jacobite steam train FW to Mallaig. Would like to see Skye, but not sure about the ferries. Obviously the Mallaig ferry is available, but the Glenelg ferry farther north looks interesting, too. If we could transport the car on the Jacobite that would be ideal; we could just unload the car to the ferry, drive around skye the next day, and take the Glenelg ferry back to the mainland. But that doesn't appear possible. Any suggestions for an itinerary?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,598 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

If you have a whole day to spare, drive north from Fort William to Glenelg and take the small ferry to Skye. It's a great drive, particularly through Glen Shiel. The road before and after the ferry is narrow and steep so only do this if you're a confident driver.

Spend a few hours on Skye and return via the Skye Bridge. This route will take you past Eilean Donan castle.

Perthshire, Scotland
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

The tiny ferry at Glenelg is a delight. It takes 4 cars, and on a sunny day it's a real joy to sit and watch the seals while you wait for the ferry.

Give yourself lots of time to see Skye. It's a big island and the roads range from pretty decent to tiny and twisty. Some of the most spectacular areas such as Elgol and Trotternish require driving on single track roads. But it is well worth the effort, as the views are fabulous.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
8,552 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

You can't take the train AND take the car - that's 'having your cake and eating it!'

You do need a Car on Skye, so the only idea i have is that one of you drives from FW to Mallaig, and the other has the train ride. Then you can both meet up at Mallaig, take the ferry to Skye, and after your visit, return to the mainland via the Glenelg ferry.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
81 reviews
4. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

Hey thanks for this info guys and sorry to hijack the thread. Going to Skye in a couple of weeks and was not aware there was another ferry so this could be the way to go and then come back over the bridge. I see though that it takes only four cars. Would there be a an issue waiting i.e. anybody got experience of doing this at this time of year?

The last time I went to Skye I tried to get on the Mallaig ferry it was busy all day and ended up driving all the way to the bridge and crossing there. Mind you that was still whilst they had the toll on it.

Hence my next question. I am bringing a couple of friends (one Cuban, one Dutch) and really want them to see the best of Scotland. Is the view from the Mallaig ferry better that the Glenelg (and the drive after) and would it be worth doing the Mallaig ferry just for the heII of it?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,688 posts
85 reviews
5. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

Hi,

The scenery around Glenelg is brilliant. Just getting there is an experience. If the ferry is 'busy', then its time to slow down and have a pint at the Glenelg Inn, watch for otters or seals, or explore the famous Glenelg Brochs.

That ferry uses the old cattle crossing point that was used to get cattle from Skye to the mainland for the markets down south. Very narrow with treacherous currents. Not like driving over the bridge...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

Excellent Peter. That's the way I'll go then. Sounds like the road there will be an adventure on its own. I don't know why I'm worried that my friends will not think the scenery spectacular. It just is LOL.

The Glenelg ferry is less than half the price of the CalMac anyway.

kilmarnock
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

Having stayed in Glenelg last summer i can assure you they will be thrilled with the trip there the ferry itself and the climb over the hill on Skye from the ferry. To date the only drive that i have made that beats it is over the hill from Applecross. Your friends will love this route and Mallaig does not come close!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
81 reviews
8. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

Thanks bigblue

Edited: 4:03 pm, May 30, 2010
9. Re: Which ferry? Glenelg or Mallaig?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 27, 2010