We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

Which Porthleven hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

We are planning a week in June at a self catered accommodation. Can't decide between cottages in Porthleven, Mousehole, or a converted barn on outskirts of Zennor (near the Tinners arms Pub). Any advice?

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

I like Porthleven as a place to stay - it's bigger than both Mousehole & Zennor with some good pubs & places to eat. Really scenic but a bit more to keep you amused in the evening. Plus very well-connected by road to Penzance, Falmouth & villages in between.

I'd find Mousehole or Zennor just a little too small for more than a day or so.

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

Many thanks, that has helped a lot. We can still visit the pub at Zennor (famous apparently for the fact that the author Lawrence stayed there with his wife). I've read about the coast path and that the walk between Zennor and St Ives is good because you can leave your car at one and catch the bus back to the other. What about walks around Porthleven?Is it a lot windier on the Zennor side over the Falmouth side of the country?

Level Contributor
2,587 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

There's a coast path that goes right around Cornwall. From Porthleven, I like to head east to Loe Bar, Church Cove & the Lizard.

The north coast always feels windier to me: it's more exposed whereas the south coast has coves. But that far west in Cornwall, you're close to both coasts.

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
911 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

St Ives to Zennor is connected by bus, although one of the buses doing the route is being withdrawn from November and the other is seasonal anyway. Hopefully it will be back next season as it is a great walk (although quite tough)

There are plenty of other options for walking around Porthleven and West Cornwall. Eg the bus route between Porthleven and Penzance stops off at Praa Sands and Marazion, which are good stopping points on the coast. Praa Sands to Porthleven is a lovely walk past some glorious a Cornish engine houses.

uk
Level Contributor
243 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

I much prefer Mousehole, a lovely little seaside village with great eateries, and the coast guard hotel for a drink in the evenings in their beer garden. Although portleven is a bigger town I would say there is still only a little walk, and a pub/ restaurant for the evenings. The same activities , although their harbour is bigger an d busier.

From Mousehole you are central for st Ives, lands end, sennon, marizion and porthleven. So it's better situated .porthleven is good to be nearer the Lizard. Mousehole to porthleven are around 30 minutes apart. Mousehole has nice galleries and plenty of tea shops and a new deli it's much prettier.

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

Porthleven has some lovely galleries and the best restaurants for miles, also has fantastic walks and lovely beaches within easy reach. Four Crows Gallery is on the Harbour Side and has an amazing selection of handcrafted goodies x

Albury, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June

Thanks for all the information. We have decided on Porthleven because we liked the accommodation options better than for Mousehole, but did love the look of Mousehole, which of course we can visit from Porthleven. Now to some research on what to do once we are there - but time enough for that after Christmas I think

Reply to: Where to base in Cornwall for a week in June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven