We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

We would like to spend about a week during June exploring around The Lizard. This particular vacation we are trying to do something differernt -- NOT RENT a car! We would like advice on two related questions: A) Could we get around to the various towns, coves, walks by public buses (or a few taxis, if necessary) -- and do shopping, dining, etc that way? B) What town would be the best base for both enjoying it for itself and for getting the bus to get to around? Or is it crazy and a waste of time to try to get around that way? -- Mark (NYC, NY)

20 replies to this topic
11. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, April 20, 2013

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

Hello from Cornwall! No its not crazy or a waste of time. Don't be put off by people who prefer cars. Yes, bus travel is slower and limits your choices, but it has lots of compensations, especially if you're the driver and not used to Cornish lanes. Buses are much more relaxing IMO, you see more of the countryside because you're higher up and not rushing past it, and you see (and often overhear the conversations of) locals. Much more fun than moving around in your private bubble. However, having said that, the Lizard isn't the best served part of Cornwall for public transport, and you would need to be prepared to do a fair bit of walking. But you should find enough for one week. I agree that Porthleven would be your best base.

There is a great service that goes from Penzance to Truro via Marazion, Porthleven, Helston, and many tiny villages and very narrow lanes.

Remember services will be better in the summer.

13. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:35 am, May 12, 2013

14. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

Removed on: 4:35 pm, May 13, 2013

Helston, United...
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

Porthleven or Helston are the nearest big population centres and probably the best places to base yourselves

When on holiday in such an area, presumably you wish to take advantage of proper rural Cornwall (not St Ives or Newquay if you are looking for traffic jams)

Google 'Taxis Lizard Peninsula' and find an adequate Taxi service for your needs. There are at least two Private Hire firms who could provide Taxi type service if needed

oxford
Level Contributor
370 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

I agree it's absolutely fine as long as you curtail your expectations, enough to keep you occupied in Porthleven for a week and close enough to Helston as someone says.

So long as your not trying to cram loads into every day you should be fine, you may be able to get a pass for the bus that lasts all week or there is the explore Cornwall pass that allows unlimited travel on the train and bus all day £10 I think.

I reckon a week would give you enough time to see most of it

Helston, Coverack, Mullion, the seal sanctuary at Gweek and out to falmouth or Penzance and marazion(st michaels mount). all doable by bus.maybe base yourself in Helston for convenience but porthleven is nice and fairly well connected

www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowl.asp?L1=POR0160

Cornwall, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

OP was planning to travel in June so they will have come and gone by now.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

I just spent three weeks in Cornwall with no car. Did fine. Yes, buses don't go everywhere, but they went to enough places and there's always walking. Buses can take a long time, but the scenery is beautiful. I would not want to have to drive those streets either! Much more relaxing to do the bus and enjoy the scenery rather than worrying you'll run into a Cornish hedge- they're stone!

I did not bus around the Lizard- I did mostly hiking and the had a friend with a car one day. But the recommendation of using traveline is great- they have a trip planner that shows the best way to get around. Also, if you are open to other areas, there is the 300 bus that goes around the other peninsula from Penzance and that area. I wish I had known about it before the trip as we could have stayed in one place for a week and used the bus.

19. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

Removed on: 8:05 pm, June 02, 2014

20. Re: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard

Removed on: 4:35 pm, August 02, 2014

Reply to: Without a car, using the bus -- Exploring The Lizard
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Porthleven