We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Building work at Altamar

glos
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Building work at Altamar

I have just got email to say block D is being renovated, Thomas Cook have made it sound like it's not too bad, but someone has just posted a review to say it's like a building site big crane overhead, pneumatic drills all day long and dust everywhere, we're due to go there Thursday, is anyone else currently there that can let me know how bad it is?

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
385 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Building work at Altamar

Just got an email myself we are due out on the 20th June 10 of us coming out not happy

CARDIFF U.K.
Destination Expert
for Gran Canaria, Alykes, Alykanas
Level Contributor
7,143 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Building work at Altamar

Being a year round destination these apartment blocks and hotels really need periodic updating and repairs as they do take a hammering year in year out. May & June are the quietest months of the year regarding holiday visitors to the island and this is the time that many works take place and is locally known as builders season. It is unfortunate for those that don't know this like yourselves but it should'nt dramatically effect your holiday to any great extent. If works were to be really disruptive to guests then they would close completely as many have done in the past.

glos
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Building work at Altamar

Thank you, for your reply, I hope it won't be too bad!

Dundee
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Building work at Altamar

I`ve just returned today although I was staying in the Bahia Blanca which is located directly below the Altamar.There are 4 cranes working although they seem to be doing more work in the Blue Star which is next door to the Altamar and is completely closed.You can hear drilling etc and at the airport I overheard someone saying that half the Altamar is closed for refurbishment.It really depends on how fussed you are regarding the works affecting your enjoyment.

Mentioned in this post
Bahia Blanca
Bahia Blanca
439 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
Hotel Altamar
Hotel Altamar
2,117 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
glos
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Building work at Altamar

thank you for your message, Thomas Cook phoned me today and offered me alternative accommodation at the Puerto Azul, although we have to make our own way there from the airport, so now we have to decide weather to swap hotels. We have a 3 year old with us and the dust and noise are what concern me most.

Thomas Cook are still saying there is just a general refurbishment and are unaware of any building work going on.

Dundee
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Building work at Altamar

Your problem is that it is indeed just general refurbishment work in the Altamar but major building works in the Blue Star right next door.If it was me I would accept the change.You can book a return transfer online with numerous companies.Very good facilities for kids at the Puerto Azul too.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Altamar
Hotel Altamar
2,117 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
glos
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Building work at Altamar

thank you

Here, there and...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
4,652 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Building work at Altamar

I'd take the Azul offer. It's a better property than the Altamar in my opinion with a recent refurb.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Altamar
Hotel Altamar
2,117 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
Armagh, United...
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Building work at Altamar

I'd definitely take the Azul

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3,474 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Building work at Altamar

The Blue Star is just a shell 3 cranes on the go and whole place fenced off looks like it is being taken back to the bare bones it also looks like there is a crane round the back near the Eden

Mentioned in this post
Eden Apartments
Eden Apartments
1,452 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico
Recent Conversations