We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could advise me what area to choose. I am going to Gran Canaria at the beginning of April travelling with my wife and 2 boys.

We are from Portugal and beach lovers therefore used to beaches. But since we have had a harsh rainy winter we are looking forward to having an anticipated summer holiday. We will also be dining out so we would like to have restaurants nearby. Travelling with a 4 year old + baby beach and dinner should be at easy walking distance. I also wanted an area with guaranteed good weather, calm waters and as less wind possible. Would also like to get warm water if possible . After doing some research this led me to these 3 beaches.

Comparing the 3 (Puerto Rico, Amadores and Puerto Mogan) Amadores seemed to be the best option: nice restaurants at the beach and it seemed to be the nicest beach in Gran Canaria but after reading so many reviews stating the water is dirty, the coldest in the area and sand hurts your feet I really started to hesitate. Puerto Rico seems to have too much “cheesy” excitement for my taste. Puerto Mogan seems to have great options for dinner but I have doubts about the beach since it also has still water and sand is darkish (not too much to my taste). I wonder if Puerto Mogan beach is cleaner than Amadores water wise?? I suppose Puerto Rico will have the same kind of beach as Puerto Mogan but with more confusion and probably dirtier. The only advantage of Puerto Rico is that I can stay at a resort like hotel at a reasonable price. I am used to urban beaches since we also frequent them occasionally in Portugal and can tolerate them to some extent but don’t want to be holidaying in a dump also. I also researched Anfi Beach, which seemed to be the TOP beach of Gran Canaria, but it is all time share apartments and very hard to rent anything close to the beach.

Can anybody help me out?

Mentioned in this post
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Amadores
Amadores
Gran Canaria, Spain
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

ok that is good help...i will have to decide then...in Amadores i would be staying at Terrazza..i checked on google street view and it doesn't seem to be a very steep street to the beach...of course at Mogan i would literaly be on the beach. The only thing is that Terraza has a pool and might be nice for relaxing if in the hotel after the beach or for breakfast as for the apartment in Puerto Mogan it doesn't have much of a view...a small varanda to a side street and that's it. Basically these are my 2 options...it would probably be harder for me to go to dinner to Puerto Mogan than coming to the beach in Amadores...and i agree with you about Mogan beeing the best choice for a base, but the boy would like a pool and the wife a more resort like place but then she also likes to walk around looking at shops with ear-rings, etc...Cordial Morgan is very expensive and Apartments Puerto Mogan are unavailable...i am in a dilema and it is hard to decide...i would not stay at Amadores if the beach was not worth it...but being a fabulous beach it is harder to decide...and if things aren't perfect i willl certainly hear the complaints from the wife :):)...

Mentioned in this post
Amadores
Amadores
Gran Canaria, Spain
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

Hi Marco,

Mogan beach is also very nice and suitable for children. There are certainly many more shops for your wife to browse in Mogan the ones at Amadores are more for beach stuff, swimsuits, buckets spades inflatables and so forth. Apart from that there is a Spar(not many earrings) underneath the apartments the road is not very very steep but a hard push of a pram after a day at the beach

Mentioned in this post
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Amadores
Amadores
Gran Canaria, Spain
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

Goodness what a dilema!!

Just go for Mogan! It is so lovely there. A very pretty town/village, endless child friendly restaurants/cafes, all on level ground. The beach is lovely, clean, safe, with a smoking/non smoking division and even has a little play park on the beach. I wouldn't be concerned about the view from the balcony...how long do you intend to sit there? You are an easy, short bus trip or even a short boat ride to Puerto Rico and Arguineguin. Plenty of shops to look around there. The Friday market there is enormous if you like that sort of thing. I'm sure you won't be dissappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Mogan
Mogan
Gran Canaria, Spain
Ireland
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

The following sites might be helpful for affordable accommodation.

http://www.costa-mogan.com/accom/

http://www.mogan-apartments.com/

booking.com/hotel/es/las-brisas-mogan-aparta…

http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p456771d

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

I'm staying at Amadores beach next week. We have had 9 previous holidays in Gran Canaria, visiting all the beaches.

I would go for Puerto Mogan with children of that age. The water will be a bit chilly anywhere, being the Atlantic.

We love Anfi beach, the restaurants etc make it a good day out.

Playa Taurito has strong currents, beware with little ones.

Mentioned in this post
Amadores
Amadores
Gran Canaria, Spain
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

I'm staying at Amadores beach next week. We have had 9 previous holidays in Gran Canaria, visiting all the beaches.

I would go for Puerto Mogan with children of that age. The water will be a bit chilly anywhere, being the Atlantic.

We love Anfi beach, the restaurants etc make it a good day out.

Playa Taurito has strong currents, beware with little ones.

Edited: 5:06 pm, February 22, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Amadores
Amadores
Gran Canaria, Spain
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
ireland
Level Contributor
500 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

I am also thinking of going to Terrazamar Amadores hotel/apartments but would like to know if they are far from Puerto Rico? Are there many restaurants,shops nera these apts? Was in Puerto Rico 10 years ago and loved it so want to go back but somewhere near beach? Read somewhere that its not safe to walk at night from Amadores to Puerto Rico,is this very bad? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Amadores
Amadores
Gran Canaria, Spain
Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

It is about 20-30min walk around the walkway to Puerto Rico. Walking to Puerto Rico in the evening I wouldn't think would be an issue as the path is fairly busy up until 9p.m.ish however I probably wouldn't walk back on my own late at night as it is not very well lit and is quiet (like I wouldn't at home)

There is a smallish Spar just before the entrance to the apartments the shops on the beach are mini-market, beachwear, lower end souveniers most open 9/10am and close around 6pm there are lots of bars and restaurants open during the day a few are also open later in the evening 10-11p.m. The last few times we have eaten there in the evening we have found it a bit lacking in atmosphere with not to many visitors around.

ireland
Level Contributor
500 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

Changed my mind now so looking at Terrazamar suites/sun suites? Whats best rooms there and what is apts like? cant remember seeing them last time we were there?

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Puerto Rico, Amadores or Puerto Mogan???

If you stand at the back of the Commercial Centre facing the old water park the Terrazamar are just up the road to your left behind the new car park . They are very popular with lots of return guests and known for the massive balconies, your best bet about rooms etc. is probably to have a look at the reviews on here

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Rico