We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
165 posts
226 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area

Need help one last time as this is racking my brain for some reason.

We will be picking up a car in Florence around 1:00 p.m. and make our way to Montepulciano by evening. We have decided that we want to see some sights along the way and what we decided on was the Greve in Chianti region. After much research we narrowed it down to a few places...please advise what can be missed and what are must sees!

Once we pick up the car we thought about seeing the Badia a Passignana then heading over to Greve, Panzano, Lamole, and Montefioralle. After looking at maps the trip to Badia a Passignano may be out of the way...is that a "DO NOT PASS UP" place to see? Or will there be places like that on our trip because we will be headed to Montalcino / Montepulciano.

After that is decided upon we plan on seeing these sights to explore and eat...what do you recommend, what order do you recommend we see these destinations, and can we remove or should we add some things that we are missing from our itinerary.

After we have decided upon trekking or not trekking out to Badia a Passignano we want to see Greve (I heard mixed reviews...please advise if we should pass this up). We really want to taste some wine in this region so we thought about stopping at Castello di Verrazzano for a self guided tour and tasting with a possible stop at the Piazza Matteotti.

Here is our second issue...should we go to Lamole for lunch and views or should we go to Montefioralle to dine at Taverna del Guerrino with views? Or do both?

In all we want to spend 5ish hours in the region to see some sights, have lunch, taste some wine...is this over doing it?

Please advise TA experts...thanks again!

4 replies to this topic
1. Re: Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:30 pm, June 17, 2014

Georgetown
Level Contributor
426 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area

I don't agree with Mike. I think planning is important and fun to do but be sure to allow for flexibility.

I haven't been to all of the places you mention but did do a tour and tasting at Castello di Verrazzano. You DEFINITELY need to plan ahead if you want to do a tasting since they book up fast. We made reservations before we left the states. The food , wine, tour and scenery was one of the highlights of our trip.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,702 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area

Visit Greve and Panzano. Stop for a simple or a fancy lunch in Volpaia (between Panzano and Radda) with a glass of chilled wine. Make another stop in Radda and walk around a bit. Continue on to Montepulciano. It will take most of the day with a sit down lunch.

The drive is really the whole point here, which is lovely. Do not worry about "musts", since everything is voluntary. Also do not worry about mixed reviews since there are people in this World who do not love Venice (!!! cannot trust them :)

Yes, I think the general region of Val d'Orcia, eg, about Montepulciano, Pienza, Montalcino, San Quirico, is prettier than the region of Chianti (here may be another mixed review for you).

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area

I would suggest you visit Panzano if you are in the area, lots to see. I wrote a couple of blog posts about my visit you my find of interest.

https:/…tuscan-white-beans

Reply to: Itinerary help please with a drive through the chianti area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Panzano in Chianti