We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking to Fira

Which Imerovigli hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Walking to Fira

Hi,

we are staying at the Krokos studios for a week in June. (can't wait!) I understand that it is about a 1/2 hour walk to Fira which is ideal, but is the walk back to Imeroglivi easy at night after dark? Is it by pedestrian paths and pavements that are lit or will we need a torch? Or is a taxi easier/safer?

Thank you

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking to Fira

There is lighting along the pedestrian path or you can walk along the main road. A taxi is easier but it's not dangerous.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking to Fira

Thank you. It's just good to know that if we can't find or be bothered to wait for a taxi we can get back under our own steam - sometimes it's good to take a slow walk back in the evening after a good meal!

Ruggy

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking to Fira

What you may not realize is that Imerovigli is 1.5 miles from Fira, and it will be an uphill walk all the way back. On a full stomach that might seem like a lot longer than 1.5 miles.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking to Fira

Thank you for pointing that out, Yes, it is slightly further than I thought but it does also depend on how much 'uphill' it is. I think maybe a practice 'run' during the day will be in order!

But just in case - will it be easy to get a taxi 9- 10pm in evening? And I presume it won't cost that much?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking to Fira

That shouldn't be a problem and won't cost more than €5-8 max.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking to Fira

Thank you Brotherleelove.

Maybe you could also help me with your opinion on the local bus service. I have read that it is good - being frequent and covering the island but I have also read that sometimes it's not that punctual, leaving you waiting for ages!

I am torn between hiring a car for 5 of the 7 days or hiring a car for just 2 days which will allow us the freedom to 'wander' about the island exploring and then using the buses for the remaining days when we have a definite destination in mind, like say, the beach for the day. Obviously the latter option is cheaper but I don't want to spend my time waiting at bus stops!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,475 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking to Fira

Generally the bus is _usually_ prompt in terms of "Greek Time", meaning give or take 15 minutes, but having a car gives you the most flexibility and allows you to be spontaneous. There are plenty of cars available as long as you can drive one with a manual transmission. Don't bother to decide now. Do it once you're there.

London
Level Contributor
435 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking to Fira

Forgive me chipping in since you directed the question at Lee. The bus service is fantastic, easy, and saves the hassle of parking which is a bit pot luck. Personally, I hire a car on the day I feel like it, and normally for two days out of seven at the most. Otherwise you might feel at the end of it that it wasn't worth the total expense, or the total time and parking etc. Cars are readily available so don't feel you have to book for safety, either.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking to Fira

I might disagree a little about the bus service! It runs every half an hour from certain stops and every hour from others, so it is not always convenient to run on that schedule. However, you CAN get most places on the island for pretty cheaply. I had a bad experience when I was trying to make a transfer and ended up waiting at a bus stop in the middle of no where for nearly two hours. It was pretty miserable. Also, with each bus trip costing 1,60-2 euros, (and if theres more than one of you AND if you must make any transfers), all of those trips will likely add up to the price of a cheap car. I might recommened that!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking to Fira

Thank you everyone for your opinion!

The last thing I want is to spend hours at bus stops but also I don't want to have a hire car and feel I must use it cos I paid for it!!

I think that maybe the sensible thing to do is have a car for a couple of days in the first half of the week to do some 'leisurely exploring' of the island, scouting out places we would like to spend more time at maybe and then use the bus for some more direct travel and beach days later in the week if needed.

Thank you all again!