We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

Vancouver
8 posts
Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

My wife and I will be visiting Santorini in this coming May. We are considering staying at Villa Lukas in Imerovigli. Can someone please advise how long of a walk it would be if we are considering going into Fira for lunch and dinner or taking in the nightlife? Will we need to take a taxi each time? We are considering renting a scooter or ATV however, that will probably only be on days we are travelling around the island.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,601 posts
68 reviews
191 helpful votes
1. Re: Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

Can't speak specifically about the location of Villa Lukas, but Imerovigli generally is a 25 - to 30-minute walk to Fira (along the clifftop footpath). It's downhill all the way to Fira, but of course uphill all the way back -- so it can be an exhausting return trip after a big meal and drinks. If you're fit and used to doing a lot of walking, it won't be a problem. But if you're out of shape, taking a taxi probably would be a good idea, especially for the return (uphill) trip.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
30 posts
38 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

Don't know your age, but my wife and I walked this path about everyday we were there. There are a few small shops and of course the caldera along the way to town so we didn't mind the walk. Since we weren't in a hurry the time did not matter to us.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

I too, think it's a very easy walk, even in the heat. My partner and I are both 56 and we saunter down to Fira regularly, and if we don't fancy the walk back up, we catch the bus back to Imerovigli. Easy!

LA
8 posts
4. Re: Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

Don't forget that there are also a number of great places to eat in and around Imerovigli. The Tavern Imerovigli is awesome, best to stop by during the day and make a reservation for that night so you can get an outside table. They're very accommodating for that and the place will fill up most nights from 9 til 11. Vanilia on the way into Fira (maybe halfway?) is also very good if a bit pricy. There's an Italian place across from the Supermarket Kapelakis in Imerovigli that's also very good, looks like a little pizza joint but has quite a good range of Italian dishes although it sits on the parking lot so ambience is not much.

Springfield, VA
9 posts
1 review
5. Re: Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

My husband and I stayed in Imerovigli at the Iliovasilema hotel (loved it!) in late June 2006. The walk to Fira was very hot as we did it during the day, but beautiful and breathtaking, taking many pictures along the way. The return walk was exhausting. I would recommend a taxi as well for your return after dinner. We found Imervigli to be the perfect central location for getting around the island. We were very happy staying there. Btw, we were in our late 40s at the time and in good shape.

Edited: 1:11 pm, April 01, 2010
6. Re: Walking from Imerovigli to Fira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Imerovigli
Recent Conversations