We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

Which Le Crotoy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton, Surrey
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

My husband and I are looking at coming to France in late July for a week of relaxation. Ideally a week near to a beach, maybe do some walking and cycling, eat good food (seafood especially) and see a bit of the area for culture maybe when the sun isn't shining. We've found a little house to rent in Le Crotoy that looks good and I think it could be 'the one'!

Am I picking a good town to stay in? Their website makes it sound like I have but any other opinion would be much appreciated!

Thanks

9 replies to this topic
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

I have visited Le Crotoy several times although not in high summer.

It is a pleasant enough small resort on the east side of the wide Somme estuary. There is a steam railway, and a major bird reserve (the Marquenterre) is not far away.

I would expect it to be busy in late July, especially if it's sunny.

It is an hour or so's drive from Calais on the A16 autoroute, péage beyond Boulogne.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

I too have been to Le Crotoy, but also not in high season. It's a resort very popular with families, and as it boasts the only South-facing beach in Northern France, it's likely to be very busy with children in July. You need to decide if as a couple you are happy with that.

Edited: 5:24 pm, April 13, 2014
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,469 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

Late July is the school holidays in most of Europe so there's a very good chance there'll be quite a few families around, but you'd probably find that anywhere.

We stayed just outside a few years ago (end June with the children)) & it was very nice. Its a place we've said we'd love to go back now the family have grown up but have never got round to it yet.

Sutton, Surrey
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

Thanks very much everyone! This responses are really helpful and a bit more research has said that Le Croytoy is a nice small town.

We expect it to be busy and there being kids around as its school holidays but we're fine with that. Hopefully there will be a nice buzz about everywhere, some times you go to places in France that are so quiet even in high season! The cottage is just on the outskirts of town so we can have somewhere quiet to escape if it gets too crazy :)

I think we'll go ahead and book it!

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

That's good - you've clearly found 'the one' :)

If you want to explore nearby if the sun isn't shining you could visit Saint-Valery-sur-Somme which is just on the opposite side of the Somme estuary and is a characterful small town, although it does not have a proper beach. Also nearby is the small village of Saint Riquier which has a striking church and nice little square with a couple of restaurants and a tearoom. Montreuil with its citadel and ramparts is also not far.

Have a great time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

Le Crotoy is indeed charming. Fantasic seafood (I've never seen so many fishmongers and fish restaurants in one place!) Excellent for cycling (there is a cycle path right round the bay) and for walking, bird watching etc.

However, we were surprised to discover that most of the time there is no water in the bay! (In fact you can walk across it) So if swimming is a priority (which for our kids it is) its not ideal.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

We were there on Sunday! It is gorgeous, we stayed on a campsite near Rue on our way to and from the Camargue, and had not heard of Le Croytoy at all. It is a beautiful little town, we had two fantastic seafood meals there, it's an active fishing port, so fresh fish can be bought if you have cooking facilities, and we cycled around the bay. There are a number of well marked cycle routes, although they are on minor roads as well as the cycle path along the bay. The beach was packed with walkers at the weekend, there is a large campervan park at the other end of the harbour, which was completely full even at Easter. We are planning to go back there. It was 60 miles from the Tunnel exit.

Sutton, Surrey
Level Contributor
14 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

Thanks all, this is great news and I can't wait now. Roll on July! :)

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?

I have also posted a review of L'Estacade, a sea food place we thought was excellent, but make sure you book well in advance.

Reply to: Le Croytoy - A week of beach, peace and quiet and seafood?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Le Crotoy