We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The château-fort of Sedan

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
The château-fort of Sedan

I did not just visit the military cemeteries of Sedan, but I also made a complete visit of the fortified castle there, which is the largest medieval fortified castle in Europe.

If you are in the area, I heartily recommend a visit: anyportinastorm.proboards.com/index.cgi…

7 replies to this topic
Paris, France
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

Is there a distinction between a château-fort and a fortress? In Fougères they claim their fortress is the largest medieval fortress in Europe. Looking at your photos it's obvious that the château-fort in Sedan is bigger than whatever they want to call the thing in Fougères. I suppose a slight twist in terminology would technically make a town eligible to claim they have the largest "whatever" for the sake of touristic promotion.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

I would assume that a "château-fort" is a fortified castle (i.e. residence of royalty), whereas a fortress is more just a military installation, but I am not an expert either!

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

Great photos as ever. I noted the question as to why the stones had not been used for building. Presumably, as the military were still in occupation until the 60's, they would have taken a dim view of local developers helping themselves to it, whereas displaced abbots did not have that power.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

FM, we've had the exact same conversation at our house -- with no more answer than you've found.

By the way, K2, I haven't been able to click through - my virus/link scanner has blocked the anyport pages several times now - says there's a malicious URL embedded.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

For some reason, some computers consider the "flag counter" on the site to be maliciously embedded.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
25,245 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

Once again spring is the best time to visit (followed by summer, of course).

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,942 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The château-fort of Sedan

during the Medieval festival makes a great visit, too.

Reply to: The château-fort of Sedan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sedan
More Sedan Topics